Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im hoping there are some handgun hunters on the forum that roll their own .357 loads for deer who are willing to share their pet loads.

I load a 180gr hardcast gas checked bullet, sold by Buffalo Bore as a SD load should I run into an irrate bear. Uses a max load of H-110 (13.5grs) and a WSPM primer.

Really looking for a 158gr loading. Anyone feel like sharing?

Thank you in advance...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Im hoping there are some handgun hunters on the forum that roll their own .357 loads for deer who are willing to share their pet loads.

I load a 180gr hardcast gas checked bullet, sold by Buffalo Bore as a SD load should I run into an irrate bear. Uses a max load of H-110 (13.5grs) and a WSPM primer.

Really looking for a 158gr loading. Anyone feel like sharing?

Thank you in advance...
For bear save the 180 grain for yorself , less pain involved /just sayin Ed

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For bear save the 180 grain for yorself , less pain involved /just sayin Ed
Not looking to drop one at 50yds, and experienece says a 180gr VERY hard bullet at 1200FPS will penetrate pretty well. Wasnt asking for a blessing on a load I know does the job on a black bear, just a 158gr load for whitetail.

I would guess you dont have one.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not looking to drop one at 50yds, and experienece says a 180gr VERY hard bullet at 1200FPS will penetrate pretty well. Wasnt asking for a blessing on a load I know does the job on a black bear, just a 158gr load for whitetail.

I would guess you dont have one.
Yup several but being you don"t approve of a little humor ,think I"m not in a sharin mood /luck with the bear race/Ed

·
Administrator
26,085 Posts
Use a 158 grain JSP NOT JHP over a max book charge of Lil Gun. I forget the load at the moment, I think around 17 grains but don't go by that check the book charge.

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
158 grain Hornady fphp crops & middle of the road charge of lil gun. 1600 FPS or so works outta my win 94. Or 160 grain fury pushed a little faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
Don’t know how spellcheck got crops from xtp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive never used Lil Gun, but it seems that nothing succeeds like success. Im going to pick a can up and give it a try.

Thank you for the information!

·
22,471 Posts
Im not a big fan of hunting deer with a 357 but if I was going to do it id buy some 158 Hornady xtp's and a can of 110 and some cci mag small pistol primers and a loading manual and push them as fast as that loading manual suggested. Im a big cast bullet fan. But with a smaller caliber like the 357 on light skinned animals like deer id rather have a bit of expansion. Little gun isn't allowed in my powder cabinet anymore. It burns very hot and if you shoot enough you will do damage to your forcing cone. I see no need to use it. 110/296, 4227, aa9 or 2400 will all get you within a few feet per second of each other using a 158 and do it without the worry. Ive seen pigs deer and black bear killed with loads like that using the xtps and they do work. That said its a load for an expert shooter not a beginning handgun hunter.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another interesting take on powder selection. Ive used H-110, IMR4227, Win 296, and Power Pistol in several handguns in the past, and IMR4227 worked exceptionally well in my 44 Magnum which I let go a little while back once the arthritis in the hands made it more painful for me than the deer.

My 686 has served me well, and managable enough that I carry it bowhunting as well. Really had no idea which powder was going to work out best with a deer load, and this year I hope to take a deer with it. I know its on the low end for deer, but so is my Flinter Pistol, and that isnt a virgin anymore either. Just keep the range close.

Thank you for the input!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Shot a small buck 2 seasons ago with a 180 XTP out of the Contender and it went through and left a quarter sized exist wound. He ran about 20 yards and piled up. I would imagine a 158 XTP would work well also. The 158 will only save you about 3 cents per bullet and you will use more powder, so cost wise will be so close you can't notice a difference. I also would think a 180 would more effective if you hit a solid bone than the 158. However, recoil may be more with the 180 depending on the load.

I didn't help did I?

Rosewood

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't help did I?

Rosewood[/QUOTE]

Of course you did! There is also some 180gr Remington Short Jacket HP I loaded with the intent of making it a deer load. Seems they are a little difficult to find though, so the Sierra 158gr Soft Point became a viable alternative.

Any information is helpful and appreciated to say the least! You never know who youre going to learn from, or how.

Thank you for the input!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Most of my whitetail hunting is done at bow range from an elevated tree stand and my 1894 Marlin 357 or Dan Wesson revolver work great. Now keep in mind that I will only take a wide open broadside shot at the boiler room on any deer. If the deer does not offer me that shot then it walks and we do it again on a different day. My load for this kind of deer killing will surprise some and draw negative feedback from others but I know it works. I load a 125 Hornady XTP at 2200 fps using close to the maximum dose of H110(21 grains). Even the biggest of whitetail bucks are 14 inches or less through the chest in the low lung heart area. I have never had a 125 XTP fail to give full penetration with that shot placement. I have had exit hole that you could stick your fist in but usually I get a golf ball size exit hole and a very short blood trail. This load requires discipline on shot placement from 40 yards in but works very well.

If I am looking at 100 yards as the maximum range then I shoot a 158 grain hard cast semi-wad cutter with gas check with either H110 or Li'l gun running 16-1700 fps. I still shoot for the broadside boiler room shot.

I won't hunt beyond 100 yards with a 357.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
H110 does give top velocity in the 357 mag. If you go with 2400 or IMR4227, you can find an accurate load, but it will slow the velocity down some and will reduce recoil if that is what you are looking for. Also, 2400 or IMR4227 can be reduced more than H110. Seems like Hodgdon only recommends a 3% window below max in H110 for it's loads for safety reasons.

Rosewood

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Most of my whitetail hunting is done at bow range from an elevated tree stand and my 1894 Marlin 357 or Dan Wesson revolver work great. Now keep in mind that I will only take a wide open broadside shot at the boiler room on any deer. If the deer does not offer me that shot then it walks and we do it again on a different day. My load for this kind of deer killing will surprise some and draw negative feedback from others but I know it works. I load a 125 Hornady XTP at 2200 fps using close to the maximum dose of H110(21 grains). Even the biggest of whitetail bucks are 14 inches or less through the chest in the low lung heart area. I have never had a 125 XTP fail to give full penetration with that shot placement. I have had exit hole that you could stick your fist in but usually I get a golf ball size exit hole and a very short blood trail. This load requires discipline on shot placement from 40 yards in but works very well.

If I am looking at 100 yards as the maximum range then I shoot a 158 grain hard cast semi-wad cutter with gas check with either H110 or Li'l gun running 16-1700 fps. I still shoot for the broadside boiler room shot.

I won't hunt beyond 100 yards with a 357.

Folks kill deer all day with bullets weighing less that 125 grains. Only concern is if it will hold together at the velocity you are pushing it, which from your experience the 125 XTP is doing that. You are carrying 1344 ft*lbs at the muzzle, more than sufficient for white tail at the appropriate range.

I for some reason favor heavy bullets, so that is what I lean to when developing a hunting load. Can't say I have a "valid" reason for doing so in most cases.

Rosewood

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Whitetail hunting conditions vary so much that not all loads are ideal for all situations. My 125 XTP load is good for the application that I use it for and none other. I have private ground that I hunt and my hunting is under the same conditions as one normally hunts with a bow. The deer are calm and not being pressured in any way and I have paid my dues at the range. A 125 XTP is devastating in a close in heart boiler room shot. However it would be very unethical to use on a moving deer where you can't be assured of getting the shot off while the deer has it's front leg forward. I am extremely picky about the shot that I take and have been hunting deer solo for 45 years.

I just want to be clear that my 125 grain XTP load is not the one load for all deer hunting.

My nine year old grandson killed a nice 10 point buck last year at 50 yards. I could have let him use my 1894 in 357 but this was his first ever deer hunt and where we were sitting he had the potential to shoot 100 yards. The stock on my 1894 was too long anyway. I bought him a CVA Hunter in 44 Mag for a hair over 200 bucks. I then cut and recrowned the barrel at 16 inches, lopped the stock of at 11 inches LOP and put on a good slip on recoil pad. The load he was shooting was one of my home brewed 240 grain cast bullets on top of 8 grains of Titegroup. That load is only running about 1,000fps but penetrates well, has little recoil and can kill even if some bone structure is encountered. He was able to hit a half a brick time after time at 100 yards with that load and that was what mattered.

You are correct velocity isn't everything in most applications. However it sure makes those little 125 XTPs go off like dynamite in a deers boiler room.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
In my Ruger 77-357 RIFLE, I shoot 15g of H110 and a Hornady 158g XTP FN. This bullet was recommended by another member (atlaw). Very accurate for me and I've taken deer out to 100 yards with no problem. Please note I shoot this load in a rifle, not sure its handgun safe?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
My nine year old grandson killed a nice 10 point buck last year at 50 yards. I could have let him use my 1894 in 357 but this was his first ever deer hunt and where we were sitting he had the potential to shoot 100 yards.

I picked up a 1894CP several years back and someone had shortened the stock presumably for a kid. I made up myself a spacer and put a rubber recoil pad over it to fit me. If you want to swap stocks, I would be game. I have always wanted an uncut stock, but they cost more than I want to invest in. :)

Rosewood

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I agree with what Graybeard said. A 158 sp over a healthy dose of Lilgun. Although I haven't loaded the sp's in mine I've loaded many 158 hp's. Lilgun is all I use for my magnum loads. All cast bullets get a dose of Unique.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts