Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday was the youth season opener down here in Miss. and all my load work on the 360 Dan Wesson cartridge shot from a .357 Handi paid off with a 120lb doe.
I was able to recover the bullet due to a ridiculously bad shot. It was shot at 65 yards and the bullet penetrated approx. 22" of various deer parts including a rib upon entry.
The bullet was a 180 gr. Hornady XTP-HP that weighed 161 grains after recovery. I'm going to guess the speed is 1,900 fps or so.
The most surprising part was the bruising around the entrance wound, it must have been 9-10 inches in diameter.
Anyway, excellent bullet performance, a load of penetration, almost no recoil and my son scores on opening day.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Good Job! I'm just amazed about the size of deer in other areas. That deer is about twice the size of an average doe down here!

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Way to go! Congrats to both of you. Not sure why there was so much "bruising" on the entrance wound. Normally doesn't happen with the 357/360 level of speed. ???Do I smell deer chops? DP

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Congratulations to you both , well done.
Nice to hear about all the Handis that bring good times and stories out in people.
;D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He drops a deer every time I let him use one of "my" new guns. Because regular gun season begins this weekend, I have not had a chance to kill one with it. Same thing last time he asked to take along "my" GP100. He dropped a small buck like it was hit with a hammer less than an hour after getting in the stand. This is his third Handi deer, the other two killed with his 45-70 Handi, so he is a firm believer in them. He has several high-dollar rifles to choose from, but with the swamps and deep woods we hunt, he opts for the Handi every time.

I figured the bullet pics would be of some value. So few are recovered but it is a very popular bullet. After seeing that, I don't think the performance can be beat.

The deer is quartered and aging as we speak and I will be cooking rack of venison with a rosemary crust in a week or so!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts