Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got WAYYYYYYYY to time on my hands.......

i was going to with the 45 Colt in a 10" Contender barrel (either Bullberry, MGM or SSK) to hunt deer with next year. my dad (RIP) had a friend back in the '70s (it might have been in the early '80s) that had a TC Contender in 30 Herrett and he luved it. i was "thinkin":eek: that a 357 Rem Maximum would be great in a 10" barrel and then it hit me, 357 Herrett. i have about 400 pieces of 30-30 Starline brass (100pcs are for the 35/30-30) and i reform brass ('06 to the 7x57, 8x57, 9.3x57, 7.65x53...), which can be quite annoying, but i like it .the place i hunt deer is sorta close up, 60ish and under and i think i'll go with 2x scope. just like the 45 Colt, it will be a cast boolit only gun. i'll probably just size the 200gr RCBS fn gc to .359", but maybe i'll want something different, like a 180gr fn gc.

ok, now i am ready for comments and the Herrett and tell me that i need a 45 Colt or a 357 Rem Maximum.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I just took a deer last week with the 45 Colt, bang flop with a high shoulder shot and the hole thru did not waste any meat. Have killed several with the 357 Max and it has always worked well don’t think the Herrett would do anymore. If your talking about 60 ish yards is the average shot distance any of those choices would not be a problem.
Buy what you want, You only go around once in your life !

jedman

·
Registered
913 Posts
the 357 Herrett brass is not as much work forming as others, If it will help you decide I have a set of Hornady 357 Herrett dies for sale ( hint hint), The FL die with out the expander in it run the 30-30 case in fully cut and square as long as your chamber is, install the expander run in just enough to expand the neck, load fire form then one last square up, If you can find 375 brass no fire forming needed but does help if you have a trim die to start with

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a 10" 357 Max barrel and found it to be very accurate but unpleasant to shoot with full power loads and 180 or 200 gr cast bullets. It is the only Contender barrel I have ever sold. I typically recommend the DW 360 over the 357 max for a 10" barrel. Both will generally be limited by field accuracy and will give you essentially the same maximum effective range. The 360 is more flexible with respect to fun shooting at less than full power and it gives you less muzzle blast and recoil at the same velocities.

With a 200 cast, I do not think you will get any more velocity from a Herrett. If you are loading to the gun limitation (instead of SAAMI rating) of a Contender, the DW 360 and 357 Max can give real close to the same speeds as the smaller case diameter allows significantly higher pressures.

About the only reason I would go with a 357 Herrett is if I had minimal inventory of good powders for the 360 or Max and a large stockpile of WC 844 or BLC-2.

·
Premium Member
15,954 Posts
I thought I had replied to this one??

My concern with a 10" Herrett is muzzle blast. Its bad enough in my ol 14"!!
I had a 10" Maxi and prefer the 14" there as well! The 10" Contender in 45 Colt is a favorite.
All three have accounted for 10+ head of deer & hogs. Love all the calibers but the 45 & Maxi are special.
CW

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Fair amount of experience here with both .357Max and .357 Herrett, also a great fan of the .45Colt. All work great in a 10" Contender barrel. The Max has plenty of pop and the Herrett has a good deal more. The Max and Colt(w/ heavy bullet and medium to Heavy powder load) will be very close in a 10" Contender. The .357Herrett has as much or more power and recoil as anything that I've fired in a 10" Contender. In the Max I always used heavy (180gr or more) bullets, but in the Herrett I usually shot lighter jacketed pills. Killed a lot of Bambis with the long discontinued 150gr SPCL REM. in the Herrett. I shoot a lot of different stuff in handguns for deer, but if I was real serious 'bout shootin' a good'un with a handgun, I'd pick up the .357 Herrett. The best news IS...you wouldn't go wrong with any of the three. GOOD SHOOTIN', Walt

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i can probably talk myself into a 12" barrel for the Herrett. i'm "thinking :ROFLMAO: " that a 200gr RCBS fn gc going around 1600-1700fps would be the bee's knees. i have the 200gr RCBS for my win m94 in 35/30-30 that goes 1726fps and its a great deer killer.

as fast as i can push any cartridge no longer appeals to me. as long as it shoots well and kills deer and doesn't hurt my shoulder, it's great for me. :geek:

Reactions: SEM and gemihur
1 - 9 of 9 Posts