Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I found a nice S&W 686 with a 6" barrel and I like it! I have honestly never fooled with a .357, only shot one 4-5 times always with no ear plugs and it just turned me off. I was dumber then. This will be a stupid question to a lot of you, but would the .357 loaded with the 180 Nosler's work for deer and hogs? I don't use a pistol a lot, but I do like having one. I have a Ruger Blackhawk .41 Magnum 4 5/8" it shoots great but I am intrigued by the .357 mainly because I don't own one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have no experience with the 180 grain Nosler bullet but I have killed several hogs (most 200 lbs or less) and a couple of deer with a 357 magnum handgun. Most were shot with a 4" Ruger Security Six revolver some were shot with a 4" S&W 686. The load most of them were shot with was 158 grain JHP although some were shot with 125 hollow points. Few were shot farther than 25 yards away. I was not hunting with the handgun but rather taking advantage of targets of opportunity when I was out and about. I had no complaints with the performance of either gun or load on deer or hogs. The 6" gun should give slightly better performance. I only took good shots,(broadside or head shots). I wouldn't hesitate to meat hunt with the 357 where the shots would be close and I could wait for the right angle. I don't know that I would carry it "horn hunting" where I might only get one opportunity during the season but if you are willing to pass less than ideal shots it should work for that to.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Works great on javelina, rattlesnakes and cans. 158 gr jhp is preferred.

Anything with teeth or an attitude, I have begun to carry a 44 Magnum. I really don't want to be bear bait or cat chow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have killed alot of whitetail with the .357 and feel that anything bigger than 158 soft point is not needed. I feel this caliber kills better with lighter faster bullets. Lately I have been using .125 grain soft points and getting really good results. Now with that said I don't really care for hollow points on game deer size and up. I do not have experience with hogs but have shot 2 black bear with the .357 using 158grain soft points. I was not specifically hunting bear they were targets of opertunity one 250 bruin and the other a 150 sow. Both were within 40yards, both one shot kills behind the front shoulder. Neither traveled any farther than most of the deer I have shot after the shot. I feel I would have done just as well with the 125 softpoints. If you run run the 158 between 1200 and 1300 and the 125s between 1400 and 1500 you should have a dead pig, bear or deer with good shot placement. Now mind you I limit my shots on deer to 60 yards and bear at 50 and under. Bear is broadside or quartering away. Deer broadside, quartering away and towards me and frontal facing me.

Oh and all I use is a Ruger BlackHawk with a 4 5/8 barrel.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
I have a S&W 686 Silhouette. It has a four position adjustable front sight. I use 158 grain American Eagle JSP in it. I have it set to hit targets out to 200 yards (#4 on the dial) and it will break a clay bird on the hill side. I have not hunted with it yet but I am going for Javilina this Spring.
I like the American Eagle stuff, it's Federal but cheaper. Meaning I can shoot more on my budget and be able to make the shots I want to take, or worse need to make. I usually buy 500 at a time. Reminds me, I'm down to my last 100 and need to order more. I first sighted the gun in on the Fiochi 148 Grain JSP stuff but my source for it dried up so I changed.
The 180's are great. I did try a box, but I can't afford them as my every day ammo. I don't keep someday hunting ammo for a gun. I also have a M29 6" for bigger things with a leg in each corner.
I also have a S&W M 28 4" that I keep for the house. It has 125 grain Golden Sabers. I do have some of the Remington 125 grain Semi Jacketed Hollow points as they are hotter then the Gold sabers for the trail. I feel good carrying them for any critter in the woods. In a self defense situation I would not feel under gunned against a hog with any .357 mag ammo. Deer usually run away, especially if you talk to it. If a deer keeps coming worry about what's chasing it. If the deer thinks it's a bigger threat then you, it most likely is! Get ready!

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
I don't see any problem with that combination but unlike mcwoodduck and 357 shooter I prefer to stay away from light weight hollowpoints in a shorter barrelled 357. Mine is a M28 rebarrelled to 3.5" and both it and I prefer a 200 gn semi-wadcutter over a hefty charge of WW296.

A 6" 686 should do just fine with 180s. JMTCW. Mikey.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Mikey said:
. Mine is a M28 rebarrelled to 3.5" Mikey.
Mikey,

I don't want to steal the thread but I sure would like to see a photo of that.

Perhaps a seperate thread.

Thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I would limit shots to under 50yds as I am not real confident in my abilities. I will roll it around some.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Strawhat: That revolver started life as a 6" Highway Patrolman. After a bunch of years I sent it back to S&W to have it rebarrelled to 4" but they were out of 4" tapered barrels so I agreed to let them install a 3.5" barrel from a Model 27 and blue everything else to match. As soon as I can figure out how to (1) take a picture and (2) how to post it here, I will do so. Mikey.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Like abt. everyone else, I think that anything over 158 gn. is to heavy for the .357 mag. I like the Sierra bullets and also think the for anything larger than deer you should use the JSP or hard cast gas checked bullets on.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Bearcat said:
I am intrigued by the .357 mainly because I don't own one.
I was just the opposite. I started out with .357s and then bought a .41 [S&W 57] because I was just intrigued by it. I love the .41 and personally would always use it on deer rather than a .357, however, the .357 will do just fine. Especially within the 50 yard range you are using. As old as my eyes are, 50 yards is as far as I like to shoot anything with a handgun without a scope on it. :eek:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, I just traded and got the 686, it came with a b-square scope rail and a red dot, the rear sight is gone and that's what I want to shoot, open sights. Where can a man get a real sight assembly for a 686?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Bearcat 74: call Smith and Wesson - you can get the number from their website - and they should ship it directly, screws and all. HTH and good luck. Mikey.

·
Registered
618 Posts
bearcat, go for it. there's alot vension being eaten that was shot with the 357. dan

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with 357.shooter. Lighter bullets are best. I have a friend who use's nothing but 125 grain speer's, and gets his deer every year, and I cant tell you how many woodchucks.
I use speer's 140, and 16.5 grains of 2400. I also use a ruger 45/8th barrel Rich

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas. I will give Smith a call and see what they say. A friend has mentioned that lighter 125's, 140's, and 158's may do better than 180's. He has also talked about an accurate 110gr load that was around 2000fps for varmints, that is fast!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I've bought S & W rear sights from Gun Parts Corp. recently for $15-$20 bucks each less the screws.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Checked e-gun parts and the sight was $55, I had my gunsmith check and he was $46, so I am getting one from him.

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
I shot my Buck this year with a TC 10 inch and 180 grain Federal HPs. 55 yards off a rest shot him first in the head, entered at the corner of the eye went thru the head but did not exit! Finished him with a side shot behind the shoulder and it did not exit either! It weighed around 170 so not a monster. I will most likely use a 158 jacketed soft point driven to max velocities next year. I was really surprized that Federal load didn't exit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts