Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the max out with JPH45's recommended load of 26grs of AA1680 under remington 180gr SJHP's with small rifle primers, at 100yrds and a cheap 3-9x40 scope. I did a 2 1/8 in group, not to bad for me, this is to be a hunting load. Thinks JPH45 they work. I also tried some 200 gr barns with the same load but not with as good results. On a sad note I took my 30-30, witch I have done little with had put on a Simmons scope I had laying around. The scope was blown I mean can't see a thing through it. Now I need a new scope. It was still fun.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Paul;

Sorry to hear about the scope. But getting a new scope is like getting a new rifle, so many choices, but a lot of fun.
Still, a 2 and 1/8 inch group is not bad for 100yds. in a handgun cartridge.
And I'm willing to bet it will get better. Just a tad more tweaking. :wink:

On another note; I loaded some Hornady A-Maxes in 52gr. last night. Gonna give them a try tomorrow, if weather permitting. In the 22-250 UVF.

Dennis :D

·
Super Moderator
50,973 Posts
Paul, check out yer local Walmart, they have the Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 on closeout for $125, it usually sells for $185-$200.

Tim

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dennis I had real good luck with 52 a-maxes have to find my recipe and get it to you.
Tim already having fun looking around for a scope manly looking at sightrons.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Paul;

We may have to check out Whittakers again, he had some very good prices on Sightron scopes.
Just a thought.

Dennis :D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finley ordered a scope from Lock Stock and Barrel getting a 3.5-10x50. It is probley to good a scope to put on a lowly 30-30 handy but what to heck I worked the over time I can give the gun a treat now and then.
Quickdtoo thinks for the heads up. :D

·
Registered
922 Posts
The simmons on my marlin 336 went out awhile back. I've never seen a scope do what that one did. Every time i shot it the reticle would tilt inside the scope. was really weird.

·
Super Moderator
50,973 Posts
Glad to be of help, Paul!!!

Drew, that's a common thing to happen in inexpensive scopes, have read of it happening several times. :eek:

Tim

·
Registered
922 Posts
That was the first time i have had it happen and the first time i had heard of it. With every shot it just kept tilting. I've had a couple of cheap tascos and none of them have given up yet. I won't be surprised when they do, though. o well i guess that's what i get for buying a cheap scope. The saying is true you get what you pay for......or something like that...... :roll:

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Drew:

For the longest time, I was the same way about scopes...getting tascos. That is until last muzzleloader deer season where it was real cold (around 0 degrees the whole time, with snow above your knees). I had one of those 1.5-4.5 tasco's(the one with the circle reticle) on my huntsman. Did I say it was cold? Oh yeah, the entire muzzleloader was frosted, and looked like it had the glue part from duct tape all over the barrel from the fibers coming off my gloves, and freezing to the metal. Back to the story...I ended up shooting at a small buck at about 40ish yards at the 1.5 power, and turned the scope to 4.5 to see if I could see him any better. When I looked through the scope, I saw an x where the + used to be. Needless to say, that ended my hunt. I think it was just so cold that it caused something not to work, because once I took it off of the huntsman, and it warmed up, the scope went up in power just like normal. Needless to say, it went in the non-burnables, and the worst part was I didn't find that deer, he went on the neighbor's land who doesn't allow hunting. I wasn't too impressed with the cheapshot sabots on a shoulder shot. Some food for thought.

~~~Amos

·
Registered
922 Posts
I try to reframe from buying them anymore. The last "cheap" scope i bought was a BSA red dot. I don't really consider it a cheap scope though. Inexpensive, yes: cheap; no. Those little red dots are durable. The tascos are just spares for when i get a new barrel and need to one to put on it until i get a better one. I need to get a new one for my 270 ultracomp barrel i just got.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Thanks Mitch, I'll keep that in mind for the future. I got rid of that thing during muzzleloader season though. Now I've just been wondering what to put on it for this year, I'm thinking about a 4x Simmons pro-diamond that I have laying around.

~~~Amos

·
Registered
769 Posts
I once put a low end Tasco ($30 4x32) on a magnum air rifle, after 2-3 shots, I was thinking that I didn't level it properly, and by the time I finished the first five shot group, it was obvious that the reticle was loose and turning. I realize that many firearms scopes aren't intended to handle a gun that recoils forward instead of back, but the speed with which it came apart showed me just how poorly constructed it was.

·
Super Moderator
50,973 Posts
Dang, I thought the $125 was a great price!!! You bought em all, didn't ya!! :grin:

Tim

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had checked out the local Wally Worlds and they were out of any scopes on sale so somebody beat me to them :(

·
Registered
769 Posts
hellacatcher said:
I had checked out the local Wally Worlds and they were out of any scopes on sale so somebody beat me to them :(
There didn't seem to be any at my local store, but there were two Nikons in the locked display case so I made the guy scan them. The $199.99 Buckmasters scanned for $80, the cheaper (but still three digits) Prostaff scanned as marked.
If they don't have a Buckmasters 3-9x40 on display, do you want my display model? No box or papers, but it comes with Nikon caps and a big yellow $199.99 sticker. Not a scratch on it, just sticker adhesive.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts