Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pick up a Max barrel in the future. For those who have experience in reloading for it. Do any of you use small pistol magnum primers? I am actually hesitant to pick up any barrel that needs small rifle primers. Even before this shortage they were hard to find sometimes. Would a small pistol magnum primer suffice?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I've just gotten started loading a Maxi rifle. It seems hotter small rifle primers are preferred but I've seen small pistol magnum listed in some loads.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have used both. For a long time I was very happy with a big batch of SPMs I was using.

The only primer related concern I have ever had is with one batch of H110. With H110, my max guns tend to like "hotter" loads. I think this is due to better fill percentage giving better ignition. With this powder, I am betting "hotter" for the primer is a good thing.

With WC 680 (milsurp version of 1680) and IMR 4227 I seemed to have less problems with ignition.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have used both. For a long time I was very happy with a big batch of SPMs I was using.

The only primer related concern I have ever had is with one batch of H110. With H110, my max guns tend to like "hotter" loads. I think this is due to better fill percentage giving better ignition. With this powder, I am betting "hotter" for the primer is a good thing.

With WC 680 (milsurp version of 1680) and IMR 4227 I seemed to have less problems with ignition.
Thanks
What type of ignition problems were you having with H110?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Two issues.

One was having individual rounds come in real low for speed as measured by a chrono. This happened a number of times even in "good" range conditions.

The other was squib loads with bullets stuck mid way in the barrel. This happened with my H110 and several (three 357 Max and one 357AR Max) guns and seemed worse on some trips to the range at under 50 degf.

At the time I had just switched primers and I was relatively early in my use of PC coatings.

This took me by surprise as I had a long history of great performance using a different batch of powder (ww 296 from the 80's) and after I ran out of a batch of SPMs (Tula) that never missed a beat.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Been loading the Max since it first came out. Every reloading manual I have ever read cautions to use small rifle primers in the Max. Same with the 221 Fireball. Since I still have all the eyes and fingers I started with. I would consider that sound advice.

While small rifle primers can be used in place of small pistol primers safely. The reverse is not safe. Over the years I have never seen anyone suffer a physical injury due to taking a " chance ". I have witnessed 3 different firearms being totally trashed by unsafe loading regimens.

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
Small Rifle Primers in mine since the late 1980's.
SPM in a pinch shouldnt hurt. Def not issue if loading lighter.
God Bless

CW

·
Registered
Handgun Hunter, Target Shooter
9 Posts
I have always ran Remington 7-1/2 Bench Rest Primers in mine. When I was researching the 357 Maximum the Remington BR Primer is what were being used the most by those who were loading for it, and writing about it.
I am sure most any small rifle primer would work fine in the Max.

Bob R

1 - 10 of 10 Posts