Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my attempt at a short story that follows the 3 Cs - clear, concise, and quick. ???

I have two 35 caliber Handi barrels. One was a 300BLK barrel that I had rebored and one is a 158C barrel that started as a 357 Mag but has been rechambered to 357 Max and has a real long throat.

The 300BLK barrel has a chamber gouge but shot good as a 357 Mag. I just had to see how it would do as a Max and it's hard to free the fired case from the chamber. The brass flows into the small gouge. I believe the 35 Rem reamer would clean it out though.

The 158C barrel is stumping me, somewhat. It has the sliver soldered underlug so I am hesitant to rechamber it larger than 35 Rem, but I don't need two 35 Rems. George and I have done extensive research to find another cartridge it could be rechambered to that doesn't require a expensive reamer, specialty dies, or brass that costs a fortune. We thought about adding a weld to the underlug but feel heat would not be our friends in this situation.

I could have two 35 Rem barrels to test and keep the best shooting one. I could rechamber the 158C to 356/358 but I really don't want to test the strength of the underlug nor trust that anyone else would get it and not fire a strong load through it. I guess another option is to rechamber the short 300BLK barrel to .356/358 Win or 35 Whelen and rechamber the 158C to 35 Rem. :eek:

I still have another 357 Maxi, 44 Mag, and 45LC/454 Casull so I'm not completely without Indiana legal deer hunting equipment.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
The BO barrel as a whelen..... Uffda -flamethrower. Wear muffs even hunting. I like short barrels for smaller powder capacity rounds but you will be noticing when you touch off that round. Good luck! -thejanitor

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thejanitor said:
The BO barrel as a whelen..... Uffda -flamethrower. Wear muffs even hunting. I like short barrels for smaller powder capacity rounds but you will be noticing when you touch off that round. Good luck! -thejanitor
I would need to use Contender load data for long pistol barrels and a fast burning powder. ::) ;D

George did offer to cut it to 35x74r. Since brass was pricey I passed.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
174 Posts
An easy way to get inexpensive wildcats is to short-chamber a standard cartridge, and load with shortened standard dies.

For example, to enlarge a poor chamber of a 357 Mag or Max:

35 Rem chambered short, rim recess cut, cases from 303B or 30-40K. No one can put a 35 Rem into it, and your rimmed 35 Rem Short cartridge won't go into a 35 Rem.

Same as above, but 358 Win short, rimmed cases from 307 Win, 356 Win, or 444 Marlin

357 Herrett, short chambered, or standard.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
WHY do you need bigger?... a 35 is still a 35 even with a dinker case...

Is having another maxi so displeasurable? Just shoot 357's in it, or make load bullets long with a shorter magnum case so they stay out of the gouge...

Preformance from all (Max, Rem & 356)but the top loadings is **** and a fart.

CW

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bruce,
Thanks for the ideas. I guess for that to work I would need to have the base of the dies trimmed down a bit?

CW,
Another Max isn't the issue. I can't grab and pull the cases from the chamber after they've been fired (300BLK barrel). The 158C barrel has been an accuracy challenge since I got it but is lighter and easier to carry than newer barrels. Long loaded bullets are fine until I drop the box or a round falls and is knocked crooked. Bigger cases clean the old chambers out.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dies can be sawed of with a tungsten carbide hacksaw blade, then edges ground with a Dremel. I used to do that to make case forming dies. Modern cutting discs would probably be easier.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Dinny said:
CW,
Another Max isn't the issue. I can't grab and pull the cases from the chamber after they've been fired (300BLK barrel). The 158C barrel has been an accuracy challenge since I got it but is lighter and easier to carry than newer barrels. Long loaded bullets are fine until I drop the box or a round falls and is knocked crooked. Bigger cases clean the old chambers out.

Thanks, Dinny
I guess I do not understand the problem fully...

CW

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
bcp said:
Dies can be sawed of with a tungsten carbide hacksaw blade, then edges ground with a Dremel. I used to do that to make case forming dies. Modern cutting discs would probably be easier.

Bruce
Please never use the word Dremel in a post suggestive to its use by Dinny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
George

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jeepmann1948 said:
bcp said:

Bruce
Please never use the word Dremel in a post suggestive to its use by Dinny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
George
?? ;D ;D ;D

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
jeepmann1948 said:
bcp said:

Bruce
George
Are you saying Dinny is my long lost brother? :)

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
I like relatively cheap and available brass (and thus, dies) without a bunch of work, so the 35 Rem on the gouged chamber barrel would be my choice. I could still load it light to heavy as I prefer.
The old model barrel should stay as is and just work it out or sell it here. Another shooter may find its performance more acceptable than you have. BTW, have you been using fully fire-formed brass in it to fill up that chamber and as fat a cast bullet as the case mouth will allow?

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Could a 35/30-30 be done on the 158C?

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
600 Posts
If they were mine, both would become 35 rem. The most accurate would be retained and the other would go to finance other shooting toys.

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ulav8r said:
If they were mine, both would become 35 rem. The most accurate would be retained and the other would go to finance other shooting toys.
That's long been my same thought. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
smong2000 said:
How about a 30-30 AI? I reamed a Contender barrel with the Quick reamer and it's now Tikka accurate. Or is the 300Rimbo barrel history?
It's already a 35cal bore.

Thanks, Dinny

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.