Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just ordered myself a factory 375 h&h barrel and I´m curious if it´s possible (safe) to (ackley?)improve it
probably not something I´m going to do but it would be nice to know if it´s safe or if somebody has tried it before.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
whisper
I have wondered the same thing myself. I believe Van Horn sells the
.375 Wea. & they would be good to ask. Many times in an AI re-chamber
the barrel needs to be set-back in order to obtain proper headspace. With
the Encore barrel this is not an option. The .375JRS is a little longer to the neck with the same parent case (8mm Rem. Mag). & you should be able to rechamber to that. I am not as sure about the 375 Wea. Mag. concerning this dimension but I do know you can fire 375 Mag. in the Wea. like you can in an Ackley. I think Van Horn rechambers existing barrels so again I would contact them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
guess I´ll just have to send them an email an ask.
the .375 h&h is enough for anything I´m going to hunt.But,it would be nice to know if I can up the horsepower should I ever feel like it

·
Registered
71 Posts
Whisper,

Please post your findings. I also have the 375H&H Encore barrel, and have had the same question.

Thanks

Todd

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
I thought about the 375H&H for my Encore but I already have a Sako in 375H&H. So do what I did, I got the 416 Rigby for my Encore. I can load it down to 375H&H loads or really load it up. :D :-D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TRick, I haven´t gotten around to it yet.I´ll send an email to van horn and j.d. later.they´ll probably know what´s safe in these guns.
I´ve been thinking about something like the rigby or taylor,but I have to test the h&h first.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
whisper, I installed a mercury recoil suppressor and a simms pad, the recoil is like my Tikka 300 Win Mag without a break or fancy recoil pad. I was quit surprised. :D

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Redhawk
I am not worried about the extra weight, but did the merc. suppressor affect the balance of the gun much? If it did not, this seems like a good way to go.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
nomosendero said:
Redhawk
I am not worried about the extra weight, but did the merc. suppressor affect the balance of the gun much? If it did not, this seems like a good way to go.

In my opinion it actually helped with the balance. The barrel on the 416 Rigby is like the 375H&H, a heavy barrel. A few of my friend were very impressed with the lack of recoil, the balance and mostly the accuracy. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts