Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
375 H&H and 45-70 in Ak

Both are pretty popular. I think quite a few bear guides use the 375. The 375 can be a pretty good all 'round gun for Alaska though its a bit heavy for some critters. Good bear and moose medicine. I'd prefer the 375 over the 45-70 myself.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I picked up a Model 70 375 H&H last summer and this spring will be the first time that I'll be taking it out for bear. I plan on using it for moose this fall on a few occassions.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The 375 H&H is much more versitile, and it is a fairly popular round. The three most popular hunting rounds are the 30-06, 300 win mag and 338 win mag. The curve tapers off sharply in both directions of folks preferring smaller or larger rounds.

The vast majority of bear guides use a 375 H&H or larger. It is an outstanding round for moose as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As was mentioned both are popular up here. I just got rid of my 375. I'll keep my 45/70 and use my 338 as my primary rifle. If I had to pick between the 2, I would pick the 375. Since I hunt and hike in thicker woods area, I chose the 45/70 over the 375.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I was thinking about the same issue a while back. I finally settled on a Winchester Classic Stainless in .375 H&H. :grin:

My line of thinking, in addition to its versatility, is that, with 270 or 300 grain Barnes X Bullets, this round would be hard to beat! :gun4:

Zachary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts