Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since 357 Max brass is in short supply right now I decided to order up 500 of Starline's 360 DW brass to do some light loads for my girls. Using my Lee powder through expanding die, 38 Spl, 357 Mag and 357 Max cases of all makes seem to cycle just fine. The 360 DW brass however likes to stick after the case mouth has been expanded. I'm not over expanding it by any means but it does take a little extra oompf to get it to come out. I took the expander out and polished it real good and it helped a little but still sticks worse than the others. Maybe the case wall is slightly thicker in the DW brass. Any thoughts?

Also, when using Rem 158 JHP in the DW brass at the same OAL for Max, I've found that they don't sit quite straight in the case. I have to seat them a little deeper to get them to straighten out. Maybe I should move up to 180 or 200 for a little more bullet to case contact at Max length.

Anyway, I loaded up 50 rounds and am taking my girls out to the woods in a couple hours for some target shooting. Should be fun. FYI, I use 6.1 grains of Longshot and it burns real clean and is extremely accurate at 50 yards in the hands of my 6 & 7 year old daughters.

For those interested, I took a pic of 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 360 DW and 357 Max cases next to each other.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
I like rims! 8)

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I would think the DW brass is not the problem, but something else

that rifle should easily chamber a cast bullet which would be even fatter than a jacketed. I'd look at your loading dies, specifically the seating die, and back off the crimp.

your comment about improper seating has me thinking that would be a good place to look

a properly adjusted die should seat them nearly perfect
what seater plug do you use? does it match the profile of the bullet?

perhaps try to find an inline style seater?

also, are you able to find some DW factory loads to try?

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Could be just hard brass. Not all brass and not even all brass form same makers is.

I have had hard brass thru the years act like this.

Try annealing it and see. If its easier, that was it. :)

CW

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I had a chance to get out today and test these 360 loads. They all seem to shoot pretty accurately. My girls were picking off 12 gauge hulls hanging from a branch at 20 yards. At 50 yards, my girls were minute of deer with them. ;D

As far as the brass sticking in the expander, I'll try annealing a few to see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Thank you for taking your young daughters out to enjoy the shooting sport. Do they want to hunt or target shoot? Either is OK, glad you are taking the time to teach them!
FM

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both of my girls want to hunt deer this year. We've been spending quite a bit of time behind the trigger of their Max practicing all the fundamentals of shooting so they are ready when youth weekend gets here. Today my 6 year old did better than my 7 year old. It's usually the other way around. The 6 year old had a 3" group of 5 shots at 50 yards using pink powder coated 158 grain cast boolits. Today, my 7 year old had a hard time keeping her eyes open during the shot and that's not usually a problem with her. Her groups reflected this. I'm not going to worry too much yet since this was the first time it happened but I'll be keeping an eye on it. I'm hoping she was just having a rough day concentrating. We'll see next weekend.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I didn't chamfer the case mouth but I've never had to do that with new pistol brass from starline before. Not to say it wouldn't help but I'd hate to think I would need to do it every time I grab a new case. I may try the one of the case mouth expanders from NOE that YRUpunting posted about.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Time to adjust thinking!

That burr in some companies new brass can cause many such issues.

YES you may need to debur new brass. I know I do. ;) **** new re my brass int even round! You must FL resize just to use it!

CW

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
New brass is just a 'starter kit', it all needs to be prepped!
Brass of differing brands, and even 'lots' of production, can have varying wall thickness. A 'close chamber' and a little bit thick brass neck can be tight.
Do your loaded rounds drop into the chamber? If not figure out why. One that is tight loading in is not going to cure itself.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, all loaded rounds chamber with no problems. I'm only having the sticking problem when opening the case mouth a little. Otherwise everything else is totally normal. I've got another set of 38 Spl dies somewhere so I'll try that powder through expanding die to see if it does the same thing.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Only sticking problems when opening the case mouth a little; Your crimping die can be finely adjusted to just gently close up any bell from that operation.
BTW, if you are using any jacketed bullets without a crimping cannelur DO NOT Crimp. I only bell barely enough to get the very base in a case so there is little to have to close back up around the bullet.
With Jacketed I resize, for lead I do NOT, I use as large a dia. cast bullet as comfortably fits that fully fire-formed case mouth and will cleanly chamber up and extract.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
CW,
Your post, and the info contained in the supporting links, makes me think I need a class on M-die setup. I have a couple but rely mostly on my Lee Universal die because my cases look like some exotic wildcat when I run them through my M-dies. :p

Thanks, Dinny

1 - 20 of 32 Posts