Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if H&R uses a .375 bore diameter in thier 38/55 rifles? Should be a snap to rechamber one of these to 375 JDJ. Cut that barrel to 24" part out the stock & off to the races!

·
Super Moderator
51,488 Posts
.378" minimum, they don't make it anymore tho, most of those made before 2007 had .380" or bigger bores, 2007 were tighter, most likely .379" as mine is, but I know of one that is .378".

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I sort of liked the 38-55 but I have no use for casting bullets to get best accuracy. Alas they are not made anymore. I found a broken down Ruger#3 in 375 Win and rehabilitated it and it is a real shooter with 225gr Hornady bullets. But kick like a mule.
Too bad H&R did not make that target model in 375 Win.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I agree with Lonewolf. I have a W&H TC that's pretty darn accurate. I just tested a variety of loads and powders the other day and most TEST LOADS were under 2" at 75 yards with iron sights. The selected loads were all at 1" with 5 shot strings. That's 75 yds with iron sights (no optics).

I wish I could find another one of these like mine so I could put a scope on it. I'm certain that some of my larger group sizes have to do with my aging eyesight.

BTW, my bore slugged out at .3795 but I shoot .379 bullets. I believe they're obterating (sp??? how do you spell that word??) enough to fill the gap because they seem to work well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just got a 38-55 ejector target barrel off the trader. I was kind of disappointed when it slugged .382. I fit it rock solid to a frame and benched it at 100 yards with a 16x scope. I used factory winchester ammo. One box of current production and one yellow and white box from the 1950's. I am very happy to report 3 seperate 3 shot groups under 1" at 100 yards.

I am going to break a few rounds down to measure the bullet but my guessis .377. We will see.

Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.