Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tim and I both have 18 inch .38-55s and .379 dia. 213 gr. custom bonded bullets. This target was shot sighting in at 40 yards for a minus 1 inch at 150. Velocity with RL7 was 2275 fps. To say the little .38-55 is a shooter is an understatement. I'd say she's ready for Mr. Whitetail on the 15th. Tim, Paul tells me he and a buddy have worked out the BC to be .380.

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Looks all set. ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Pete, not to be a smart butt, But in the picture you posted with your 18" 38/55---Is the rear butt stock upside down? from the looks of the grip area it looks like the cheek piece area is on the bottom with the grip cross hatching on the top. Or, am I getting so old that I really just need to go back to the eye doctor again. Though, it does look like the wood is VERY proud on the joint in the bottom of the receiver . Just curious. beautiful rifle. God Bless to all. ;D

Goofy. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sure is goofy. I grabbed the wrong pic. A year or so ago I flipped it over to see what it would feel like. Didn't work. I'll have to dump that pic so I don't grab it again. Sorry about the pics. That target's on glossy paper and the flash bounced back off it. I should have done it outside.

Pete

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Pete,

Very nice! Good luck during gun season. I would get a 38-55 but a fellow over in Wisconsin keeps buying all of them. ;D

BB

·
Premium Member
9,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The .38-55 is a big "thank you" to Tim. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have it. For that matter, I'd say it's because of Tim I started hanging out here. All the guys here pretty much do the same thing. If they spot something good and don't need it, they post about it here. That's how I got my 7.62x39, and it too is a sweetheart of a rifle.

History tells me the .38-55 started out as a target caliber. Today, a lot of deer and bear are qualifying as targets ;) I enjoy shooting the old time stuff, and using modern components to bring their performance far above the original. I'm sure they would be a blast to shoot with black powder, but I'm too lazy to deal with the mess.

Pete

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Well done Pete ;D !
I shot mine in a friendly schuetzen match at 200yd. last year and did OK. I was loading one stick of brass at the bench w/o resizing and shooting a full case of Trail Boss for a BP equiv. under a Lee WWt cast 250ishgr, bullet. I would use that same load for Whitetail to 100yd. for sure (no experience with bear) and I know crows dont stand up to it at 125ish yds. It is an easy one to bump the performace up with a different powder to an 'Express' load.
That weight bullet (mass) at a given velo will match the inertia of a 250gr. in a 44Mag or 45Colt, etc.; not to be dismissed at all. With your HV load you are up in (or past?) .375Win. loads arent you?

·
Premium Member
9,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gcrank1 said:
That weight bullet (mass) at a given velo will match the inertia of a 250gr. in a 44Mag or 45Colt, etc.; not to be dismissed at all. With your HV load you are up in (or past?) .375Win. loads arent you?
Hodgdon lists top end loads for the .375 with 200 to 220 gr. bullets at from 2233 to 2480 fps, so yes, I'd say we were there. Tim is the culprit who came up with the load. It shoots fine with no signs of pressure, and is very accurate and consistent with these bullets.

Pete

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
petemi said:
The .38-55 is a big "thank you" to Tim. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have it. For that matter, I'd say it's because of Tim I started hanging out here. All the guys here pretty much do the same thing. If they spot something good and don't need it, they post about it here.

Pete
Pete,

I'd say you're dead on. I posted a 'I want' ad for a .38-55 barrel here and almost immediatley a member PMed me. He'd found one, a complete rifle but all he wanted was everything else, not the barrel. He offered it to me for reasonable and I snapped it up, of course. My momma raised two fools, but I'm not either one of them.

Great bunch o' guys.

Cat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.