Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experimented with 3D printing Contender parts before? I'm learning CAD and working on a design for a grip with 1913 rail attachment to attach stocks or pistol braces. My design skills are pretty limited but I have a prototype laid out - was just wondering if anyone else here has worked on something similar? I know Sharps Bros sells one, but I wanted to try my hand first. Haven't printed it yet but that will be soon.

Have a great day!
Rectangle Magenta Font Cylinder Plastic

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tweaking the design slightly, but I think it's going to be a good option. My original motivation was a way to adapt a AR15 buffer tube to make a shorter stock for my son, and I don't like the size and clunkiness of the Choate adapter. This has the potential to be much better IMO.

Once I'm satisfied with it, would anyone who has the ability to fit a buttstock to a 1913 picatinny rail like to recoil test a prototype and report back?

Art Font Material property Rectangle Pattern

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update: I’ve got some initial pieces designed and ready for use and feedback, and for sale for a reduced price on the Contender Classifieds if interested. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This last version took about 10 different prototypes just to get to this stage, and will probably take another 3-5 to keep improving it from here. Those wouldn’t really be possible without being able to fit it and examine the little details when mounted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just an update: I’ve got some initial pieces designed and ready for use and feedback, and for sale for a reduced price on the Contender Classifieds if interested. Thanks.

This grip looks great. I recently purchased a G2 that came with a Sharps Bros grip. I hope to make my own similar grip out of walnut or maybe laminate. I have a CNC router. Would you be willing to share any of your design info?

I’m thinking to make it with my cnc I’ll have to make it in halves and glue it together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
30year CAD guy here, also decades of injection molding and 3d Prototyping. I like the lines and general shape, no issues. The problem is gonna be layer separation under recoil, regardless of print axis unless you leave reinforcement material channels {holes for threaded rod] through highest stress point, namely the 1913 attachment portion. They will need to be cleaned and diameter uniformed drilled [all holes printed off axis are oval] and then install. Should last up through moderate pistol calibers. Good luck and never stop innovating.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to catch everyone up; TinkerCAD (the software I was using) lost my model history, so I could no longer ungroup and tweak it's component parts to perfect it. This effectively ended my project. I'll happily send the last file I have, but I don't know how much of a help it will be. Plus, I put so much time into it that I probably should have just bought a couple Sharps Bros grips to begin with and been better off, ha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts