Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MARQUETTE (AP) - (07/26/15) - A $40,000 gift from the Safari Club International Foundation will help improve the winter habitat for deer in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

The state Department of natural Resources says the money will help fund a wildlife biologist position that is assigned to develop comprehensive strategies for 57 winter habitat complexes. The focus of the work primarily will be on land that isn't managed by the DNR.

The Upper Peninsula Habitat Work Group was reconvened this year to focus on improving and conserving critical winter habitat.
I think this is a group to pi$$ the money away.

Officials recently said Michigan's 2014 deer hunting harvest was down about 15 percent from 2013, due in part to severe winter weather in recent years. Regional declines were the greatest in the Upper Peninsula, where the overall harvest was down nearly 36 percent

Notice the DNR has gotten their grubby paws on the money. I personally think this will come to noting as far as improving the herd, health of the herd and the habitat.

:) Al

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
so, if i read that right.. the $40,000 is going to be paid to a wildlife biologist , and he or she will make up plans to improve the deer habitat , on land that is not managed by the DNR ?

in short, they are going to waste that money on nothing but some 'biologist' bank account

the DNR dont know a dam thing about raising or maintaining a deer herd

·
24,003 Posts
for one thing even if it was legit 40k wouldn't buy you much of a biologist!! My opinion is some run dum that's already working for them will be put in charge of the program and told to not spend any money so the 40k can be used to buy more lunches and perks for the big wigs. When they told us we couldn't feed up here because there was TB in lower Michigan I knew right there they really didn't care about the deer. Its all politics in the MI dnr. They should fire them all and hire a bunch that works and thinks like some others like PA's dnr. They actually work at deer management and don't worry about wolves, moose, and bear and walking trails for the yuppys from down state. .

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's about what I got out of the story.
Doesn't take 40,000 to shoot the wolves and a bunch of coyotes or grown cedars for winter yard improvements.
About any rural UP resident could run the program and make improvements I think.

:) Al

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Stop all timber harvest in the yarding areas, use the $40,000 to pay a bounty on wolves and coyotes, go back to one buck (any size) per year, and don't over harvest the does. Problem solved!

Almost forgot - increase the bear permits to control the REAL bear population, not the DNR's underestimated population numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.