Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking to get a price on threading the breach end for a whitworth type cannon barrel. I want 4tpi Buttress threads and 3" inches threaded. My lathe can only handle about 35" and I want to keep the whole 40". I'm making a shorter version of the 1.5 Experimental Whitworth gun. I wil even send you a couple of 3 sided buttress inserts cutters for the job..
I can do the cap on my lathe no issue.

THX!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Hi Joey V , It is possible to thread your barrel on your own lathe. Make a expanding mandrel for the breech end and chuck it up . It might be a good idea to lock it with a short weld bead so it can't shift when your cutting threads . Leave enough free space on the mandrel to clean up the weld and you have it done .

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey moose

I like where your going with this idea!! Can you by chance explain further or even show a pic of what the mandrel looks like? Lastly would I hold the barrel in a center rest because the tailstock would have to be taken off the bed to fit the barrel.

Thx very much !!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.