Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 21 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AKA 10mm.

Project I've been working on for a few months. Had a bit of time to go to the range this morning and was bore sighting the carbine. Still need to put a new butt pad on her and make a grip cap for it. 18" barrel with an attempt to match the electroless nickel platting with an epoxy based spray. Was a standard stock that received a strip, carving and refinish. Originally intended to go with more of the pepper look, but decided to go with a darker brown dye.

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for the "gap' I used fresh o-rings and lots of epoxy. I talked with a couple of gunsmith friends and they said that they didn't think that trying to make a steel spacer to take up the gap would be of much benefit over the o-rings once the epoxy set.

Initial range testing yesterday showed promise. I put two bullets through the same hole shooting off-hand with just being bore sighted. All the others (10) were within 2moa at 25 yards. Intention is an up to 75 yard general purpose carbine, even up to small Texas deer without the recoil of a 45-70/450 Bushmaster.

I hope to actually sight it it today. I was also testing out a Stevens 418 22LR and an 18" barrel H&R 9mm carbine that I've also been working on. The 9mm is a true turn down permanent liner into a 20 gauge Topper 88 barrel from a Green Mountain blank. The 9mm is really for my daughter, but it shows to be fun too with great promise! I may have to out another one together just for me. The allure of cheap ammo is hard to ignore.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As for paint I used stainless appliance epoxy. I had some Alumuhide 2, but the appliance epoxy was closer in color. I'll look into the suggestion.

I was asked why 10mm. This started as a covid project that I'm just now finally trying to finish. It's about all I had to workwith at the time.

Thanks for the kind compliments.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hopefully I'll have the ejector working over the next couple of weeks. Going to try and TIG weld it first to extend the tip and regrind it to length/shape. Then if that doesn’t work I'll try and find a 223 one and modify. All else fails I'll get a gun smith out in ID to make one for me. Was just trying to keep from having to ship it half way across the country.

The 9mm conversion we did ejects the shells about 15 to 20 ft.

1 - 9 of 21 Posts