Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Back when TR hunted in Africa, he used a Winchester 1895 chambered in .405. How does the .405 stack up against some of todays African Big Game cartridges? ie: 375, 416, 458, etc, etc???

AND, is it feasable to hunt African Big Game with the .405?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

JT.

· Registered
8 Posts
405 win

Bought a Ruger #1 in 405win. wouldn't hesitate using the rifle where a 375 H&H is required. Factory ammo cranks out a 300gr @2300fps at low pressures and with handloads at cosiderably higher pressures in a gun that can take it with ease 2600fps witha 300gr. Hornady S.P.
At 2300fps the cartidge is no slouch in my books!

· Registered
1,442 Posts
Compared to the magnums mentioned here the .405 falls a little short. Lack of penetration on tough animals has always been an issue with this round.

· Premium Member
10,817 Posts
Ramrod said:
Compared to the magnums mentioned here the .405 falls a little short. Lack of penetration on tough animals has always been an issue with this round.
I agree with Ramrod.

· Registered
562 Posts
Justice Trimble said:
Hello Everyone,

Back when TR hunted in Africa, he used a Winchester 1895 chambered in .405. How does the .405 stack up against some of todays African Big Game cartridges? ie: 375, 416, 458, etc, etc???

AND, is it feasable to hunt African Big Game with the .405?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

JT.
Teddy also used a 30-06 and 500-465 double rifle. Whether it was the 405's performance or Teddy's shooting, something was sure lacking when he tackled the larger game, including lion.

· Registered
614 Posts
You have to remember that when TR hunted with the 405 all that was available was a 300 grain jacketed soft point driven around 2100 fps. The jacket was not particularly stout and the load not up to the round's modern potential. I cringed reading his accounts of shooting up game in Africa, many obviously ran away wounded not to be recovered, and the problem with 405 in that respect was with the bullets used. I agree that TR's shooting might have been lacking as well.

Today with the modern Winchester 1895 or Ruger #1 rifles and some good bullets like the Barnes X (too bad they discontinued the 350 and 400 grain .411"), Hornady 300 grain Spire Point, Swift A-Frame and Woodleigh Weldcore this round is more than adequate for African plains game, leopard and lion, and all North American game. Loaded to its potential in these rifles the 405 Winchester can achieve as much as 4000 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle.

· Registered
70 Posts
405 and big stuff

The 405 with a my 310 grain cast bullet has taken two mature bison bulls with one shot each. Both bullets were recovered in the hide on the exit side. I am not sure how many meat cows this load has taken, it should be a dozen. Every bullet has exited on them. This same bullet did in two Cape buffalo last summer in Africa with one pass through. I have shot a bunch of hogs and deer, no elk yet all with pass throughs. Would I take it to Africa? sure, but the 505 Gibbs is going also just because it needs to kill something big.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.