Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought from John Norris a section of 40mm AA gun some years back. After staying away 3" from where the barrel was cut with tourch's I will end up with a usuable section of 36". Most likely I will have a machine shop do the work. While it would fit between centers (40") between centers) The steady rest is only good for 2.750". The plan is to have both ends of the barrel faced off,then turn the breech side a straight center section. This so I can have a cylinder threaded internally to match the threads on the turned section on the barrel. 44mm comes out at 1.57". For the breech plug will be using a section of a B7 stud with matching threads inside the barrel. 8 threads per inch and will be using 2" of the B7 stud so 2x8=16 threads. but will attach a bar 1" in diameter to assist screwing in and out the fully threaded brechblock
This is the plan so far. I'd like for some of you all to check out what i've set forth so far and see if anything would pose a safety problem. Basically since the barrel is an alloy one and both pre and post treatments I will not be doing any welding on the tube. Regards, Frank

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What pre 1899 Muzzle loading, antique ignition cannon are you intending to make?

Check out the Construction stickies for guidance on how to make a proper breech plug. Safe Loads & Construction-NEW CANNON...
DD, will have a piece of 4140 round stock encircling the breech outer diameter. The B7 stud will be used to gain access the the rear of the barrel. Will be attaching a section of 1" steel bar to the B7 stud to allow it to gain access to the bore for cleaning and loading. In answer to your question As to what type pre 1899 cannon, most likely a small Whitworth. Ignition will either be cannon fuse or friction primer. The 2" length of B7 stud has a yield strength of 105,000 psi. The same material covering the breech end and will be threaded with a butress thread and flash hole will be direct from the outer diameter of the out side to the bore of the barrel. And will be 4" in length. The vent will most likely be made of bronze. And threaded the full length. Regards,Frank

·
Super Moderator
16,843 Posts
I we have a guy who built a Hughes from a section 40 mm. Bruce goes by Carbine1964

Did you buy this from John Morris? He's Cannonmn around here.

I had to think about what you meant by a B7 stud. That will be your screw in breech block, will it?

Do you have copy of the Whitworth Rifle plans from AOP? That is a pretty cool gun.

We like build projects, especially with lots of pictures. Keep us updated,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I we have a guy who built a Hughes from a section 40 mm. Bruce goes by Carbine1964

Did you buy this from John Morris? He's Cannonmn around here.

I had to think about what you meant by a B7 stud. That will be your screw in breech block, will it?

Do you have copy of the Whitworth Rifle plans from AOP? That is a pretty cool gun.

We like build projects, especially with lots of pictures. Keep us updated,
DD, yes I bought the barrel from Cannonman. No do not have any plans. Do you have a link to AOP?. Would like to get a set of plans. Regards,Frank

·
7,166 Posts
Here is a link to the Antique Ordnance Publishers catalog sheet:

AOP catalog sheet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts