Graybeard Outdoors banner

.41 Magnums...

4K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  NM LOBO 
#1 ·
Being a .41 Magnum fan, I was interested in an article that was in the latest edition of Handloader magazine... I have a S&W 629 six inch that I purchased brand new a few years ago... I've carried it deer hunting for several years, but have not had a chance to try a shot with it yet. Actually, here in Indiana during "firearms" season, you can carry two guns of different types. Since I use only muzzleloaders, I like to have it along for a quick follow up or finish off shot if necessary... I know the .41 has lots of folks that downplay it, but I really love shooting it and like the cal... Dave

#2 ·
As a young Marine in 1966 I went to a downtown department store in Atlanta and bought a .41 Magnum Ruger Blackhawk. I still have this gun and a few more and I still love it.

I don't know why us .41 Mag owners are so passionate about this caliber. Maybe we like being under dogs or being told it won't last because of the .44.
I have a nickled S&W 58 that my brother in law carried as a Lawman in the 60's also and I have a warm spot for it also.
Thanks for the info.

#3 ·
You know, I have owned and shot the 41 mag for over 20 years now. I can admit that I have on occasion thought about going to something larger. Ultimately I decide to stay with my trusted .41. I know the 44 has more power (and more recoil), the 357 has less power (and less recoil) but the 41 just "fits". I don't know how or why I just know that we are meant for each other. My experience thus far is that my friend has always done what was asked of it. The game I have killed would not be any more or less dead had I used a 357 or 44 and the gun seems to fit perfectly in my comfort zone. My point is that it is not what cartridge can or can't do that makes it great it's what the shooter makes of the cartridge that makes it great. Many guns of various calibers have come and gone through my cabinet, but this is one I have never and will never be without.

#4 ·
.41Mag

Hello,
The .41Mag actually has an edge over the .44Mag when lighter bullets are being considered. Especially with the 185-225 grains.

The .41Mag will give identical velocities with those weights as the .44Mag and do it with less powder, and consequently, less recoil!

The .41Mag is easier on cylinders, too, as the cylinder has more metal around the chamber with the .41Mag.

#5 ·
41s

Dave: Folks love to compare things. 'Mine is better than yours' so to speak, and that follows with advocates of the 44, the 41, the 357, the 10mms, and on and on and so forth.

The truth is that the 41 Magnum is an excellent cartridge. You may be able to get higher velocities out of the same weight bullets in a 41 than you could in a 44 but that isn't really a great comparison. I think what you may have to consider is the bullet type you are using. A 200 grain .410 diameter bullet should penetrate at least as far, if not farther, than the same weight .429/430 bullet at the same velocities. If that is easier on the individual shooter then your preferance may fall in that direction. I found the same to be just about true when developing a 40 caliber autopistol cartidge in the late 70s. I was amazed at the penetrability of a hard narrow bullet. Maybe that's why the 6.5 Swede is such a game getter - penetrability.

Another truth is that you can load your 44s down to make recoil easier, especially if you carry for the finishing shot. Something I've been trying to do but haven't because of the winter weather here is to develop a heavy load for the 44 at moderate or even low velocites. I can easily do without the recoil of the really heavy loads but I do like my N-frame Smith in 44 and would like to shoot it a lot more than I do now. Just gotta get myself up and reload and shoot.

I wouldn't disdain the 41 magnum at all. It is an excellent cartridge. I do not have a lot of experience with this cartridge but there are a ton of guys out there who will support me in this. By the way, I always thought a 4" Model 58 was cool. Mikey.

#7 ·
S&W #57's, 4" nickle and 6" blue

I also like the .44 mag, and have a blue steel 6.5" #29 as well.
[/img]http://home.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/15/15729/folders/6606/31412IM000142.JPG

Like the .45's too. @25-5 .45 Colt, 4" blue
@625 Model of 1989 .45 a.c.p., 4" stainless.

#9 ·
It's starting to look like there are enough of us .41 magnum fans for us to ask GB for a .41 magnum forum. .41 magnum guys usually are opinionated and outspoaken... What do you guys think... want me to propose a .41 mag forum???

#13 ·
build it and they will come

I wish we had more choices in 41,have been looking for a desert eagle barrel in .41 with not much luck.all these shooters with 9mm,357 sig,40 s&w and hardly anything in 41 magnum,how sad.I am seriously considering a .41 revolver just because I enjoy shooting calibers,not seen every day at the range.
anyone care to comment on current .41 opistols?
thanks and long live the 41!

#14 ·
41 DE

IF you really want a 41 Desert Eagle just keep watch on Auction Arms and Gun Broker / For The Hunt auctions. They don't come up often but I have seen a couple on there over the last year or so. And they are not cheap. I agree though, they are pretty intriguing. I understand they work best with standard factory loadings. I'm into heavy cast bullets these days so that takes away some of t he appeal of the DE. Good luck. Why not put a Wanted on GB's classifieds - you might find something.

#15 ·
taurus fetish

I'm on a taurus buying spree lately,bought a pt 92 for wife and a pt 945 for myself and the 41 tracker looks like a nice shooter.
this gun collecting thing is contagious.
taurus makes some inexpensive pistols that function well,and the lifetime warranty is a plus.
anyone else reccommend any other :wink: nice 41 magnums in the $400-$500 range?

#16 ·
IronKnees said:
Actually, here in Indiana during "firearms" season, you can carry two guns of different types.

IronKnees,

Being a fellow Hoosier I want to know a little more about carring two guns of different types.

Does this mean like a shot gun and a muzzle loader rifle?

Does this mean a muzzle loader rifle and a legal handgun?

Does this mean two legal handguns?

Does this mean a muzzle loader rifle and a muzzle loader handgun?

What I plan to hunt with next deer season is a 15 inch Encore 25-06 (scoped) AND a 44 mag redhawk (iron sites)...This would certianly be OK to hunt?

Thanks

Fred a/k/a HappyHunter :D

#17 ·
"Hi Fred", Well, first off, let me explain to you why I choose to take advantage of this fairly new rule which is in effect ONLY during "Firearm" season in Indiana... I couldn't hit a bull in the butt at 10 feet with my shotgun loaded with slugs, so years ago, right when muzzleloaders became legal during "firearms" season, I built a T/C Renegade from kit form, with scope, sling and all, just for deer hunting. It is deadly accurate and has taken several (I'd like to brag and say many) deer... But as you know, re-loading for a follow up shot, especially when your fanny is up a tree is a joke... So, when they came out and said you could carry "more than one type", I elected to carry my .41 Magnum, or my .357 Magnum along. I also have a legal black powder single shot, but have not shot it enough to be comfortable with yet... I'm going to include a link to the regulations, but to save you a bunch of looking, I cut and pasted the pertinent part below... here is the link:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/huntguide1/hunt.pdf
Deer Hunting Equipment
Legal Firearms
Shotguns, handguns, muzzleloading long guns and muzzleloading
handguns are legal during the firearms season.

Only muzzleloading firearms are legal during the muzzleloader
season.

Hunters may carry more than one type of firearm in
the field at a time when hunting during the firearms season
only (as long as all firearms are legal for hunting deer).

Shotguns must be 10-, 12-, 16- or 20-gauge or .410 bore
loaded with slugs or sabots. Rifled slug barrels are permitted.
Combination rifle-shotguns are not allowed.
Muzzleloading firearms must be .44 caliber or larger
loaded with a single, ball-shaped or elongated bullet of at
least .44 caliber. Sabots are allowed provided the bullet is
.44 caliber or larger. A muzzleloading firearm must be loaded
from the muzzle. Multiple-barrel muzzleloading long guns
are allowed.

#18 ·
Dave,

What Black powder single shot do you use?

I recently purchased an Encore 15" 209 x 50. I have only shot it twice (a whole lot of recoil). Plan is to work with it for next muzzle loader season. I will be using an encore rifle 209 x 50 and its little brother as well.

If you are using the encore pistol how is your load development?

Thanks for you help!

Fred

#21 ·
Re: taurus fetish

1badmagnum said:
I'm on a taurus buying spree lately,bought a pt 92 for wife and a pt 945 for myself and the 41 tracker looks like a nice shooter.
this gun collecting thing is contagious.
taurus makes some inexpensive pistols that function well,and the lifetime warranty is a plus.
anyone else reccommend any other :wink: nice 41 magnums in the $400-$500 range?
It all depends on what you want in the way of a .41Magnum(always capital!). Good used New Model Blackhawks can be had $275 or less if you're lucky. New they are usually just over $300. Used S&Ws run the gamut. I saw one that the seller said needed a reblue he wanted $600 for!! You can get a good used DW for that amount (usually less). One just need keep their eyes open on the auction sites and firearm related forums. Good luck in your search. :grin: RKBA!

#23 ·
double action 41

1 badmagnum, if you prefer a double action 41 mag. keep an eye on the gun autions and list a wanted in GB's Classifieds page. I found a nice stainless 7.5 redhawk that way, and a 5.5 was offered to me as well. There are usually a few S&&W 57s, and 657s in standard dress or custom shop forms available and the occasional 58 - all depends on what you want and how much $$ you care to spend.

#25 ·
1989 accident. I knew nothing about hunting handguns even though I had beed a reloader since 1965, all long guns. My Aurtho dr (a fine woman) was the person who suggested that I look into handguns. I remember like it was yesterday, walked into the gunshop on my canes and told the counter guy that I wanted a handgun to hunt with, out came the .44RSBH with all the talk about how I could kill Godzilia if I wanted BUT there was this neet looking silver pistol in the case that just seemed to beckon to me. Was told right away that I didn't want that cause it was a .41??? Since I didn't know any better and wouldn't listen to the counter guy I walked out with a spanking new S/W 657, mounts, scope, and a Uncle Mike's holster. I am now the owner of 9 different .41 caliber handguns 6 of which are .41RemMags. Just today got wind of a FA83 in .41RemMag at a very good price that I'm pretty sure will be mine by end of week. All three of my childern (1 daughter, 2 sons)shoot .41RemMag handguns. My oldest grandchild has been shooting my .41s' since she was 4 ( started her with wax bullets and primer only)and killed her first deer at 7, Santa had a used 657 that has had the S/W Performance Shop treatment under the tree for her last Christmas. Another granddaughter made sure that I had my gun for her birthday (5th) party so she could shoot like Amber (BTY I have 7 grandkids all girls). I carry a Taurus 425 about 95% of the time., guess you can say I'm sold on the .41RemMag big time. Oh and in case you want to know I have killed animals from squirrels to 1800+lbs feral cattle with my .41s' and after the very first deer in 1991 I have NEVER felt undergunned for any animal that I was after

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.