Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
more than likely ill be purchasing a .41 rem mag for hunting purposes."whitetailed deer" I am just in the process of looking at whats out there revolver and ammo wise! i know that this is not a popular cartrige and i am limeted on ammo but i do have a press and i reload ammo for my .221 fireball. any help on the rem 41 mag and load data would be greatly appreciated. also im thinking of using lil gun as the powder if i reload

·
Registered
52 Posts
.41 mag.

Creekchub, I use a 210gr.jhp or jfp, over 20 grs. of H-110.That is shot out of my S&W 657, 7 1/2" barrel. Seems to be pretty accurate @75 yards. :D Hope this helps..

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
creekchub - get yourself either a Smith and Wesson or a Ruger in the 41 magnum, a Lyman reloading manual, a bunch of brass and bullets and you will be well on your way to having more fun with a 41 (copped that line from another poster - lol).

The 41 really shines with heavy hardcast reloads for whitetail and more. Although factory loads limit their offerings, the 41 is a reloader's playground where you can have fun with easy loads and all the confidence you need with the heavier ones.

The 41 isn't popular - I think you will be surprised at how many new friends you will make when you get into the 41 magnum field. Good luck and have fun. Mikey.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This is my favorite caliber, and there are several other members that couldn't agree more. I hunt with a Desert Eagle in .41 mag, and my load is the 210 grain Hornady XTP over 21.5 grains of W-296. I shot a 140 lb doe last fall right through the heart. The bullet broke the offside shoulder and was found under the hide weighing about 195 grains.
I also hunt with a S&W 657 Classic Hunter II. This gun is set up to shoot a hard cast wfngc bullet, 250 grain bullet over 20 grains of Li'l Gun. I can use this on deer, but I use such a stronger bullet for black bear and such. This heavy bullet will break a deer's shoulder and exit from any shot angle. I keep my shots under 100 yards, using red dot style optics.
If you are going to shoot factory ammo, Federal loads the 250 grain cast bullet, and Speer makes a 210 grain Gold Dot. There are other choices, but I would try those first.

·
Registered
98 Posts
.41 Magnum

I've had my .41 Black Hawk for a few years, and it's still my most accurate handgun, with least variation from chamber to chamber. Up until just recently, I had trouble finding brass and bullets, but it's worth the trouble. Try the Hornady 210 JHP w/ somewhere around 18 grns of IMR 4227. 18.5 grns gave me my lifetime best 100 yd group (2"). That probably doesn't seem like a great group from the perspective of your .221, Fireball, but for open sights I'll take it. I've used HS-6, too; especially with cast bullets. I've used Laser Cast and Meister in 210-215 weight range with good results, and even cast my own using the LEE tumble lubed bullet. If you're tooling up to reload this one with cast bullets, I suggest a Lyman M die. It comes in the carbide set, or you can buy it for $10. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Handgun Hunting

I have a 41mag Ruger bisley 7 1/2 in. barrel that is very accurate with about any thing you can get in it, My favorite load is a 210 gr hard cast bullet over 8 1/2 grs Unique. Its deadly when i do my part......Joe........

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Proud to say that I have recently found and bought a 57 no dash, 4" blue one. In one of my dumber moments I sold most of the brass I once had and now only have 50 Remingtons left, so I haven't shot it much yet but, will. My original quest was for a 657 M/G but, not sorry I ended up with this one.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
:cb2: I don't reload yet, but I'm gonna have to if I shoot my .41 much. Tested a lot of factory ammo this Summer and found the Winchester 240-gr. Platinum Tip HP to be the most accurate out of my gun. It looks just like S.B.'s except I put night sights on it.

Now Joe, if you ever feel the need to get rid of that .41 Bisley, just let me know! :eek:

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you're looking to buy a new .41 Magnum I beleieve the only game in town is TAURUS, they manufacture two .41 Mag pistols, the large frame Raging Bull: http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=416SS6&category=Revolver
and the medium frame Tracker: http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=425SH6C&category=Revolver
I own 2 Taurus revolvers a model 94 9 shot .22LR, and a model 44 in of course .44 Magnum. They are both excellent guns for the money 100% reliable and with a unbeatable warranty, I'd recommend a TAURUS revolver without hesitation. You've already heard sugestion on excellent used guns.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Uncle Ji said:
If you're looking to buy a new .41 Magnum I beleieve the only game in town is TAURUS, they manufacture two .41 Mag pistols, the large frame Raging Bull: http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=416SS6&category=Revolver
and the medium frame Tracker: http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=425SH6C&category=Revolver
I own 2 Taurus revolvers a model 94 9 shot .22LR, and a model 44 in of course .44 Magnum. They are both excellent guns for the money 100% reliable and with a unbeatable warranty, I'd recommend a TAURUS revolver without hesitation. You've already heard sugestion on excellent used guns.
Don't you believe it. S&W is making the model 57 Mountain Gun and a couple of others, right now. Made in America! http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=293606&sw_activeTab=1

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Handgun Hunting

Griz

You are a nice guy and all that, But i kinda like my 41 Biz. So don't hold your breath until i turn loose of it :) :) :) :) ..........Joe.........

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
:cb2: Joe, I figgered with all those hundreds and hundreds of guns, you didn't have time to shoot 'em all! That lil' 'ol .41 might get to feeling neglected! :-D

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Handgun Hunting

Griz

The 41 Biz is part of a full set of 7 1/2 inch Bisleys from the 22 32 357 44 45 and i like all of them. I wish Ruger would bring one out in 44-40 which i have two in the Vaquero configeration. I don't know for sure that they don't make it in Bisley but i have never seen one, You should have gun shows some where in your area,,, You might pick up a 41 Bisley there. I will keep my eyes open at the next show and if i find one Ill pick it up for you, How does that sound, BOY that will cost you. Take care :) ......Joe....

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I'm in the same boat as creekchub, in that I plan on getting a 41 blackhawk. Does anyone use the .41 Gold Dot HP, and how do they shoot for you/ work on deer? Thanks.

~~~Amos

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Handgun Hunting

Cattleskinner

I use mostly hard cast, But have used 41 gold dot hp and don't find any thing wrong with them. Its just that i hunt with lead :lol: .......Joe.......

·
Registered
667 Posts
MY GO TO 41 FOR HUNTING IS A 657 PC HUNTER...WONDERFUL GUN. I USE 265 GR WFNGC BULLETS AND A STIFF LOAD OF POWDER UNDER IT. MY LAST DEER WAS AT 85 YARDS AND IT DROPPED ON THE SPOT.

I ALSO HAVE A 6 INCH NICKLE 57 AND A 4 INCH 657 MOUNTAIN GUN.

THIS YEAR I WILL HUNT WITH THE 657 PC HUNTER (IT WEARS A 4 POWER BURRIS SCOPE) AND AN IRON SIGHTED 657 MOUNTAIN GUN ON THE HIP.

ONCE UPON A TIME I HAD A TAURUS RAGING BULL IN 41...IT WAS A GOOD GUN AND VERY ACCURATE. THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH IT IS THAT IT WAS NOT A S&W...I TRADED IT OFF AND DO NOT regret IT.

FRED

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
HappyHunter, sure wish I could find a 657 M/G.When I couldn't, I opted for a 4" 57 and picked up a 4" 29-2 as a stable mate for it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts