Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has been on my mind for a couple years. I bought a new 41 Ruger Bisley from a gun shop a long time ago. A few years ago I had the barrel replaced after neglecting the bore. The shop that replaced the barrel seemed doubtful that my gun was originally a Bisley because the cylinder is fluted like a standard blackhawk cylinder.

Did all Bisleys come with the unfluted rollmarked cylinders or were these features only offered on the 44 mag version? Thanks

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I am not 100% sure about this. Mine had an engraved cylinder but I have seen pictures in gun books (Handgun Hunting, a very old edition) that had the Bisley Grip frame with a fluted cylinder and the caption called the gun a Ruger Bisley. Help someone else, am I correct?

·
Administrator
26,058 Posts
Now we all know I ain't no Ruger Fan. :) :-D :)

But to the best of my knowledge ALL Bisley's have left the factory with unfluted cylinders that are roll marked. I've seen a bunch of them and never seen one any other way. If any got out differently it must have been a special order deal by some large wholesaler.

GB

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ruger Bisley...

Well, I can't rightly say if this is relevant or not, but my Ruger Vaquero Bisley came with a fluted cylinder...it's a .45 Colt. I'm pretty sure it was new...sold to me by Gander Mountain, and I don't think they cheat. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
229 Posts
.41Magnum Bisley variations

According to flatgate and WMG on the RF, there were about 2000 of both the rollmarked and fluted cylinder issued. It seems the fluted version is the most difficult to find. I have one of each NIB in the safe and a rollmarked version as a shooter. The barrel has been cut to 5.5 inches and a custom sight installed. Now if I could find a 4&5/8ths inch barreled .41Magnum OM at a decent price. RKBA!

·
22,367 Posts
i have seen and shot both so I know they exist. Hold on to it through because they didnt make many. By the way nice gun you got there. Its to bad its going to be a collector because with the barrel cut to under 5" it sure would be sweet

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info

Hey folks thanks for the information. Mine's not a collector - had to rebarrel it after neglecting the bore near saltwater. Had the trigger straightened a little and lengthened so it wouldn't bite my figer tip. Wild West Guns of Alaska did the trigger and I really like the work. I had them drill the top strap and install a Leupold scope base too. So its a using gun. Lloyd, your suggestion is intriguing. I've wondered if a shorter barrel would be better mine is 7.5 and its quite club and too long to pack except in a bandolier holster.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
.41 Ruger Bisley

They were made both ways for a short period of time. Mine is fluted and is one of my best shooting blackhawks. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need one of them 41 Bisleys

There is some rumors floating that Accu-Sport may follow their special orders of 5.5" stainless Bisleys that were in 45lc and 44mag, with a run of .41 mag. One could only hope. If ya'll ever come across one of the .41's that is in nice shape, point em' my way.

Best Regards,

Bill

·
22,367 Posts
got the 45 and 44 sure would like a 41 accusport to. I used two guns and made up a .41 4 5/8s bisley its a sweet little gun that will probally become my main woods gun. Ruger is really missing the boat by not making short barreled bisleys they sure feel sweet in the hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts