Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get dies for .410? I havent been able to find aaanything, been looking for a year. I have an old Herter's shotshell press with a straight bolt on system, I would love to find dies for it. I would also consider something that I could use with my RCBS rifle press, or even a simple hand Lee Loader. Help......

·
Administrator
26,063 Posts
You may never find anything for the Herters and to my knowledge no one makes anything for the RCBS. I suggest you just get a MEC 600 and be done with it.

GB

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
See the 7/8 thread on this forum.

Briefly, the low volume shooter can use .444 Marlin brass to sub for 2.5 .410 in at least some singles and doubles. The lack of a base wad and space lost for a crimp makes up for the 3/8 shorter case. I improvised w/ .44 mag dies I had on hand, but stock .444 Marlin dies might be easier.

A tinkerer might even be able to use .444 Marlin dies to load roll crimped .410. Had I any great interest in the .410, I'd certainly try it before paying for custom dies or buying a special press for a few boxes a year.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Your are probably just as well off buying a Mec. If you find a Lee Loader you will pay handsomely for it, $60 or more. You should be able to find a used mec for that price or spend another $35 for a new one.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
I have tried the 444 trick and didnt have much luck with it so what i did was buy a mec 600 jr new for $85.
RCBS will not make a set of 410 loading dies. and now no longer make the 20 or 12 ga loading dies for the press.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts