Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Your best bet is to find a 44magnum or a 45-70 barrel. As cool as a fully rifled 410 would be, it isn't an option. A 44 or a 45-70 will give you a good choice of projectiles and either will out perform the 410 slugs. If you need it to be a shotgun for legal reasons, there are 20ga fully rifled barrels.

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Now that there are no new ones being made so you can't just order one, it might be worth it to get a full length barrel liner and line a 20ga barrel. You would need a new extractor or you could maybe weld or solder an extension onto the 20ga extractor, but it wouldn't be too complicated.

Rgambill, what is it you want to do with a fully rifled .410? Are you looking to shoot factory slugs? Maybe load up something yourself with full length brass shells? Is there a specific hunting regulation you want to work within? Or is this just a "because I can" sort of a thing?

Another option that I forgot to post yesterday is .444 Marlin. I have used .444 brass to make .410 shot shells and if you were going to make some hot slug loads the .44 brass may be part of the recipe; so you could just skip the tinkering ad shoot .444 if that will do what you want to do.

·
Registered
315 Posts
With a proper sighting system and the right ammo accuracy can be pretty good without rifling, just stay within that little slug's range. I am confident out to 60-70 yards on woodchucks...YMMV....Scott B.

·
Registered
109 Posts
if you are wanting to shoot .410 slugs, you wouldn't want a rifled barrel. 410 slugs are rifled, so you can shoot them in a smooth bore barrel. they don't make .410 sabot slugs, which is what you want to shoot in a rifled barrel

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'm like Vash, I've got a 45/410 survivor. 45 LC is way cheaper and more versatile than 410 slug. However you can shoot shot and 410 buckshot with it, but it's not an accurate slug gun

VVLLBS

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ok. Here's my 2c worth. I have a 41 mag handy rifle. 410 at the groves. Shoots like a lazor at 100+ yards. 2x scout mount 30.00 pistol scope. Favorite. I also have a 410 tamer with wood stocks, short stocks. Like tamer stocks. I use 3" brass shells loaded with cast 410 bullets and unique. Drilled and tapped, muzzloader fire sites. Shoots 4" at 25y. I bought a 410 drill bit and removed the choke. Camp gun but. Barrel fits any of my handys. Can be scoped if desired. Not needed. The 45/410s are too liberal in. Dia for 410 slugs. A smooth bore 410, no choke is accurate enough out to 75y. I just think rifled is not needed.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
HBBS (Honing Big Bore) made a few fully rifled h&r pardner shotguns before they switched production to the encore. I have seen exactly one of them for sale on the big gun auction site.

If you search this subforum there are one or two threads discussing the conversion of a handi 444m to a 410 slug gun. This conversion is easy, the hand loading of the slugs, not so much.

BB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts