Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D
Hi All,
I am looking for someone who is using or has used Universal Clays for loading a 44-40 WCF.
The book shows 7.3 gr. of Univ. Clays as a Max load...it also shows this load at 11,100 psi. I am shooting a new Marlin 1894S and I know it will take more PSI's than this load shows, as it is the same action and barrel as the .44 MAG. I plan on working up the load and looking for signs of excess pressure.....but.....if someone has run this same load....I sure would like to know there findings.
I use 9 gr. of Univ. Clays in my Marlin .44 Mag. and my Rossi 92 in .45 Colt using a cast 200 gr. rnfp and they all shoot GREAT.
Thanks

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
44-40

Be careful, I know that 10 gr of Unique will separate brass in an 1873, and Universal is very similar to Unique. The shell for a 44-40 is MUCH thinner than a 44 Magnum, and will split or separate easily if pushed too far. Check Hogdon's website for loading data. It's not just a matter of the strength of the rifle action as the ability of the cartridge case to contain the pressure as well, and not send a portion of the propellant back toward the shooter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.