Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Which one? Rimmed or belted? Both cartridges are DIY regarding chamber reamers and reloading dies. I suppose you could have custom reamers and dies made but would be a lot of money.

BB

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
The following text is my best effort to remember how I built the second 44 bodeen rimmed. This post is not a "how to build a wildcat manual". Anyone who uses this information to modify a firearm or reloading equipment does so at their own risk.

The 44 bodeen rimmed chamber (version 2.0) was cut by hand using 45 cal and a 44 cal cylinder throating reamers fitted with 44 bore diameter floating pilots. The 45 cal reamer was used to lengthen a 444m marlin chamber from 2.225" to 2.87". This reamer cuts .452" so basically this adds a 0.645" long straight neck to a 444m cartridge. The 44 cal reamer was used to cut a .432" diameter throat. I cut a long throat, OAL 3.40", so I could load long bullets and have a bit of freebore to reduce the pressure spike. I then cleaned and polished the chamber a couple of times and the handi was finished..

To make brass I just FF 9.3x74r

I made a FL size die by cutting off the top of a 444m sizer. I opened up the die so the top 0.645" of the brass would stick out of the die. I put a 444 marlin seating stem in a 458wm seating die and it seats the bullets fine. Single shot so no crimp die.

BB

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BB with the long throat are there cast bullet molds that large in 44 im also thinking of getting the quickload program will this help in load development for the 44 bodeen rimmed or is it easier to go the belted way gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.