Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some ammo for a 44 mag Handi-Rifle to deer hunt.
It's either going to be a 240 grain or 300 grain XTP bullet.
I'm leaning toward the 300 grain bullets.
What are your thoughts on the choices?

·
Registered
989 Posts
My 44 Handi shoots lighter bullets more accurately. If it were mine I would go with the 240 gr. You can only tell by shooting both through your barrel. Are you reloading or buying factory loads?

RJ

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have tried 180's, 240's and 300's with my reloads. The 240 XTP's are the most accurate in my rifle adn the only ones I reload now, usually over a stout load of 2400.

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
Both bullets will get the job done just fine. Buy a box of each and let your rifle tell you what it prefers then use that with confidence that if you do your part so will the bullet.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
My best load so far is the Hornandy 240 gr XTP over 24 grains of H110. A great round. But the bottom line is that most of the factory rounds will do just fine. Do your part, and the handi will do the rest. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
+1 on the Winchester White box ammo. Inexpensive and shoots more than good enough for deer in my Handi. BTW I get right at 1800 fps with the 240 grain slug out of my 22" barrel. My Marlin 1894 does not like them very well. Good Luck and Good Shooting

·
Banned
766 Posts
I can vouche for the 240gr JSP Remingtons on deer ( that was out of my old Ruger deerfield carbine) ... Out of my new model H&R 44mag the winchester 240gr JSP round have been OK .. They are easily minute of deer ( think they made a 3 inch group if i rememer right @100) , though not as accurate as my 240gr round nose flat point hard cast lead hand loads at 1800+ fps...

I dont think I tried the 300gr XTPs out of the handi , did load some up but launched them out of the super black hawk.

Hope that helps a little ,

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Graybeard said:
Both bullets will get the job done just fine. Buy a box of each and let your rifle tell you what it prefers then use that with confidence that if you do your part so will the bullet.
+1. Use whatever shoots the best out of your rifle!

phatgemi said:
My best load so far is the Hornandy 240 gr XTP over 24 grains of H110. A great round. But the bottom line is that most of the factory rounds will do just fine. Do your part, and the handi will do the rest. Good Luck.
Last year I used this same load and knocked a buck on his side at 60 yards. Great combo.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I shot some 300 grain XTP's. They shot OK, but I have a feeling the 240 grains may shoot a little higher at 100 yards. Less variance between 25 and 100 yards. I'll check the local WalMart for the 240 size. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1 on the Winchester whitebox ammo as well. Pretty good stuff. Using that stuff to get reloadable brass since its a little scarce at the moment. My handloads with a 270 gr cast in front of 22.0 gr of Lil'gun @ 1800 fps shoot around 2" groups at 100 yards which is plenty good for me. :)

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
The load of H-110 under the Hornady 240 XTP is a good one. I have used that for several years and taken several Mule deer with it. Haven't switched to LilGun in the 44 yet but will be trying it out when I am out of loaded rounds from a few years ago. Still have a couple of hundred left from before. DP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts