Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally bought a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 scope and mounted it to my handi with a set of Barska "high" QD airgun mounts. I took it to the range to sight it in and the wind was gusting 20 - 30mph so I didn't shoot at 100yds but I did shoot a few groups at 50yds and every 3 shot group at 50 yds looked like the pics below. I'm gonna head back out and see how it does at 100yds if the wind ever settles down. I was shooting Winchester Super X factory ammo loaded with 240gr JSP and I was shooting off an MTM Predator shooting rest.

Ken

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Kensel That looks very encouraging to me. ;) Which variety do you have? The wood or plastic? And finally; have you done and modifications to it? O-ring, bedding stock, trigger job, etc.

I just put one on lay away today. Duck Hill had them on sale for $249. I think it is still too high, but every one that has one for sale around here is asking $300. They said it was a special run for them exclusively, but it looks like the run of the mill plastic stocked 44 Mag. to me. The serial number is HX so it is 2007 manufacture. I will be picking it up next week. I haven't decided to leave the irons on or do some thing different. I do not particularly like the high and wide front blade. Think something with fire sights maybe, or just get a scope like you did. I will be swapping out the stock for a set of laminated ones soon and sending it in for a couple of more barrels.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Thank you , Tim. I have been looking around including the Internet, Walmart and did not find anyone that has them in stock, with the exception of a couple of local stores that are asking $300 for the wood ones. This was the best deal I could find :-[ I guess you pay the price when you are in a hurry :) I was going to swap out the stock no matter which kind I got, I just got to have the Laminated stocks. Do you know if H&R has any 444 Marlin barrels in stock yet? I was going to call them to find out right after I picked up my gun. I was going to pick it up today, but I found out they would not sell it to me until I got my DL updated :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[. My birthday was three weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
I dunno about the .444 barrels, I got mine in May, they should have some by now if they ran out, have you called em yet?

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
No I have not called them yet, I was going to wait until I got the 44 to call. I was just curious where I stood at getting one.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Laotto222, My rifle is a 25-06 Handi with the wood stock. I sent it in to be fitted with the 44 Mag barrel and had the trigger done at the factory, other than that I sanded the inside of the forearm a little to free float the barrel and that is it. The rifle shoots very good with most factory ammo I've put through it and I imagine it will do even better once I put together some handloads. Maybe I'm just lucky with this one but I wouldn't hesitate to get another 44 barrel.

good luck,
Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts