Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
With 44mag I limit myself to 100 yards. I'm sure it will kill deer at longer distances, but 100 is the farthest I trust myself to aim it in the field. sighted in at 100, I'm an inch high at fifty, and an inch low at 115. My range estimation isn't all that good, and this gives me a little bit of room for error. On a known distance at a shooting range, it is fun and very possible to hit targets at longer ranges. But beyond a 100 yards, that bullet is dropping pretty fast, and range estimation is critical, more than I am able to do in the hunting field.
Duane

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
yukondog said:
I've taken deer out to about 130 yrds. It really depends on what you want to do with it.
For use on game under 150 is a good limitation. Personally 100-125 is about max. Need longer ranges bring more gun. ;)

For targets, the bullet is big and can be heavy so it drops like a stone. Smaller bullets move faster offer flatter trajectory, but they lack the mass to "carry" well so they too shed velocity fast. You can bang a gong or topple a ram at a couple hundred meters.

CW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.