Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been beat to death but my .44 which is about 3 years old is not that accurate. Even at 25 yards it will clover leaf two then throw the 3rd 2 inches away with factory ammo without a scope. Since I probably have one of the over-bores are there any bullets out there for .432 bores and what are some good loads for them.

BTW I will get a new .30-30 barrel for next year.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quoteMost of the fellas that shoot the 300gr XTP with max loads get decent accuracy, as do those that shoot .432" gas checked[/quote]

I guess my question is, are there any lighter JHP rounds that shoot accurately in the .432 bore or is there a source for .432 cast bullets for those of us that do not cast.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Yes Sir there is , go to Montanabulletworks.com the have 44 up to .433.I have used their bullets in both my 357 Rossi and a 44 mag I had. they are excellent and great customer service, hth Doug

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quotehttp://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/display.php?catagory=4
[/quote]

JP, did ya click on the link? They offer oversize cast bullet in just about every style
[/quote]

I clicked the link and they did have a nice variety with several styles but each one was listed as .429

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
Click the down arrow to the right of each bullet, the dropdown shows all the options. ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
quickdtoo said:
Click the down arrow to the right of each bullet, the dropdown shows all the options. ;)
Hey thanks. That worked great. Nice choices but I feel a little stupid now. I can't believe I didn't see that down arrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just yesterday got to range test a new 44 Handi. It sounds like there are two bore diameters out there, and I'm not sure which I have, but it is new.
Test was limited to 50 yards and one group each, and it was from a picnic table with front bag only. So better could be had. I had good results with two of the three test handloads I happened to have. By good, I mean that it beat my minimum tolerance of 2 MOA.

Best load was the 300 XTP. Interesting that Tim mentioned these do well in oversize bores, since I am hoping my new one has a proper bore. Not set up to slug it. Accuracy of the only group was 5 shots in 0.6 inches. This was with 20 gr of 296 and a large rifle primer. The bullet was seated long, in the second canulure on this bullet.
The same load with the bullet seated shorter, in the first canulure, grouped 5 in 1.2 in. Apparently this rifle has a very long throat.
The Speer 240Gold Dot SP put three in 0.75 inches with 24 gr of 296. I DON'T CLAIM THESE ARE SAFE LOADS, but I took them from Hornady and Lyman. I get confused because Hornady lists heavier charges for the TC pistols than for their rifle loads. Primer signs were mild, but these are rifle primers, so maybe harder.
Not a definitive test, but it shows good promise and I hope is interesting and addresses this thread.
I too would like advice on an accurate lighter bullet load, and a stouter bullet than the 44 XTP HP.
Now happy with the rifle I plan to have it reamed to 445. Tim mentioned good results with this and I'd like to learn more. Where are best places to have this done? I know Gary Reeder does it.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
In my older 44mag I use 240g Oregon Trail SWC . They are sized at .431. They are the best(cheapest) cast bullets that I have found that shoot good in my rifle. I can get 1-2" groups at 75 yards.

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
44mag barrels made this year by Marlin have been reported as being considerably tighter, mine slugs .424" at the lands, and .4285" in the groove, have yet to shoot it tho. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hey cowboyup, I too am getting good results with the OT 240gr SWC and Unique powder. What are you pushing yours with??
Ten gr does ok but am thinking of going to 11. Might even back it off to 9 and try that

Jeff

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I use 7 or 8 grains of unique for plinking. For hunting I use a max load of H110. When I run out of those im ging to start using trail boss and Lil-Gun. Im trying to minimize the number of powders I use.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I had one of the old .44 barrels and I couldn't get anything to group consistently. I tried a lot of different size and style bullets with a lot of different powders and about the time I seemed to be getting something that would work the next time I took it out I couldn't keep the same load on a paper plate. I sold it to someone that was going to have it made into a 445 and I didn't need that as I already had a 45/70 barrel that shoots good. I took a deer with the 45/70 barrel this year with a 300 gr OT bullet and a light load of 2400. As soon as I get enough mad money collected I am sending in the gun to get a .357 and one of the new .44 barrels. Hope springs powders I guess.

Just for giggles and grins would you fellows that are actually shooting one of the .44 barrels let us know if it is one of the old barrels or one of the new barrels. If you are having good results from either barrel please let us know what bullet you are using and what weight and size. Type of powder and whether it is a light, medium or heavy load would also be good.

RJ

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess everyone is telling me that an older .432 barrel can achieve some accuracy with oversize cast bullets but never with JHPs between 225 and 260 grains. Should one get .433 size cast for best accuracy and are there any cast loads that would be decent for deer up to 100 yds?

Now I can't wait for that .30-30 barrel.

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
Best advice is slug the bore so you know what you need(see FAQs), the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook recommends cast bullets be .001" to .002" large than the groove diameter for best accuracy, hard cast would need to be on the larger size compared to softer bullets that will obturate(upset to fit the bore) easier than hard cast. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
26 Posts
For Tim,
quickdtoo , you listed links to some good threads on the 445. Much appreciated. I notiched there several reporsts of frass failure and incipient failure. Can you answer this argujent? Someone said on ohe of these forums that current 445 SM brass is made from shortened 444 cases, which don't share cylinder dimentions with the 44. More, he said the 445 brass ia shortened 444 Marlin, and not a stretched 44 nagl Then further went on to saiy that they were unsafe for our application of making 44s into 455s.

I don't know if there is any merit at all in any of this, but I am about so chamber a 44 into 445, and to create loasds using cases I believed to be identical to the 44, escept not cut as short.. Will someone opine on this? Sorry I couldn't mnake it more interesting by remembering the id of the riter of those posts.

With rifle safely off to the rechambering router, I am beginning loading ammo, using the new starline 445 sm brass, once through the sizer and primed, loading them with magical formulation of a substance in just the right amount, then seating a projectile of reasonable weight and shape just deep enough be be very friendly with the aft end of the lands. If there is knowledge that there is a safety problem with any of this, please, someone bring it right up without delay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts