Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the gun for several years, and just got a carry holster,(inside the pants), for it. Charter Arms .44 Bulldog. And feels pretty good. So am planning to practice with it more. 2 bullets that I cast I'm thinking of practicing with it, are a Lyman 215 gr. (429215) and a NEI 250 gr. Thinking either Blue Dot or 2400 powders, although open to suggestions. Figure if I can keep it around 800 fps should be pretty manageable out of that gun. Carry ammo is Winchester Silver tip 200 gr., although not sure if the Silver tip ammo will even expand at the velocity out of that short of a barrel, but sure looks impressive as ****! gypsyman

·
2,655 Posts
I don't have any experience with Blue Dot, but 2400 is going to be a little slow burning for the loads you are looking for. It is better at the higher end of the scale, somewhere you don't want to be with that CA Bulldog. The gun would probably hold together with warm loads, but it would be unplesant to shoot. When I had my Bulldog, I liked 5 to 5.5 grains of Red Dot under a 240 cast bullet. Some kick, but not to bad, with acceptable muzzle blast. No chrono data, but I'd guess about 800 fps. Other good powders to look at would be HP-38, Win 231, Bullseye, maybe Unique.

Larry

·
24,003 Posts
by some unique or bullseye. 6 grains of unique or 4 grains of bullseye would make a good plinking load. Only thing with your gun your not factoring in is whether it will shoot to point of aim with a real light load or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.