Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry,but I have a dumb question.I have a marlin .444 and would like to get a 45/70 guide gun what do you think my chances for trading even up for one would be.I don't know much about this rifle or caliber. It was a gift.I wanted a 45/70 and some one thought this was better.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The chances are pretty good that you can trade for even value. Some folks prefer the full length .444 rifle to the .45-70 guide gun version.

If you do make the trade, please be advised that a LOT of guide gun owners dislike the muzzle ports. FIERCE sideblast when fired!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The ported barrels were on the very first Guide Guns. They only made them for a year or two. All the newer GG's are made without the ports.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
When you post your trade in the Classifieds, you might wanna consider letting folks know your state of residence, since someone might want to do a FTF.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hey Man:

I prefer .444's but 45/70's are cool too...

Is it a newer model 444, older 444s or 444ss?

List that puppy for sale or trade and post a pick...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its listed and it's an older one made in 1974 over all wood and metal its 90% take a look. what is it you like about .444 over the 45/70 its be on for a bit,but know takers yet.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
stalkerhawk - that's a nice lookin' Marlin you're selling. Too bad you feel the need to go to a 45-70; the 444 has never let me down.

Lots of folks compare the calibers or the bore diameter as a basis for their preferences. I just say that I prefer the 43 bore (444) and load it with heavy hardcast bullets. My 444s neither lack for accuracy or power. When it comes to moving same weight bullets at similar velocities or bullets of different weights but with similar ballistic profiles at similar velocities, I prefer the 43 bore over the larger bore for its penetrability.

I've used the 444 on lots of game animals and once I found the right combination of heavy cast slugs and proper powder charges I saw no reason to go with anything larger. JMTCW. Mikey.

·
Registered
405 Posts
stalkerhawk said:
Its listed and it's an older one made in 1974 over all wood and metal its 90% take a look. what is it you like about .444 over the 45/70 its be on for a bit,but know takers yet.
So it's probably a 444s (look on the barrel, it'll say the model)...

I have taken two of my best deer with that gun, when you hit'em they go down in a neat package...

(Forrest Gump had his Jenny, I have my Black Betty)

Here is my 9 & 11 - Black Betty Style
[img]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x264/M_444/Deer/8Pt2000.jpg

I am however, maturing to begin using "Front End Loaders" now...

9 outta 10 first shots drop'em anyway!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mikey its not the caliber i mind i really prefer the straight stock and short barrel on the GG I'm a bowhunter and just picked up traditional blackpowder I like to hunt close 100 yrds or less preferably 10 yrds. also i dont load my own so i'd have to go with factory ammo

·
Registered
207 Posts
stalkerhawk said:
marlin .444 yes its a .444s what does that mean how is it different from a .444ss,and .444p
I believe the 444SS is the 444S rifle with the button safety (that many dislike for some reason or another), while the 444p was the .444 version of the Guide Gun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well so far I've Had two people back out of a trade and not a whole lot of interest in this rifle its a nice gun I just want a straight stock and shorter barrel.took it to a gun shop to see what they give me in trade toward a new GG said the best he would do was175.00 because there wasn't much interest in the .444 every one wants 45/70 and the rifle would be hard to sell I'm beginning to believe him.

·
23,085 Posts
DO NOT SELL THAT GUN FOR THAT!!!! I too prefer the 444 to the 4570. It hits with athority recoils less and shoots flatter and with the right bullet penetrates better. **** id give 250 sight unseen for a beater!

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
While I agree with Lloyd, lets be careful with this thread. It is getting close to a classified ad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts