Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Sierra .4295 made for .444 Marlin? I just tried loading today for the first time and they are loose in the brass. I can move the bullets with my fingers. Is that bad?

·
Registered
542 Posts
The 444 uses standard 44 caliber bullets. If the Sierras are loose in the cases, that is a problem. Are you new to reloading? Have you properly resized the cases? What brand of dies do you have? Are they new? The 444 takes a 3 die set, like any straight walled case. Have you checked the size of the expander plug in die #2?

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
I have the same question. Did you put the bullet in the brass before you sized it? Because if the brass was fired in a gun already, and not sized, the bullet would be loose. If you run the brass through a sizing die, you will not be able to put the bullet in the brass with out the aid of a seating die. The bullet diameter you stated is for the .44 cal bullet and is used in the 444 Marlin.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Texgun - get a Lee Factory Crimp Die for the 444. It is a colett (? sp) crimping die that imparts the factory taper crimp to the case and should hold the bullet firmly in the case.

I would also follow the advice of Tnrifleman and Redhawk1 - find out what size your expander plug is, it may need to be worked down a thousanths or so. HTH. Mikey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts