Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read an interesting article on beartooth bullets for 444. 330 gr lead flying at 2100fps and better and all were safe not max loads. also claims of very little leading after dozens of rounds of this stuff. sub moa groups too! Anyone have any experience with the 444 and cast bullet loads? I'm getting a 444, its at the shop now. I love cast bullets, but have had bad luck with them in my revolvers(always leading issues, even with hard alloys an gas checks) any info on this topic in regards to the handi is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
There are NOW 14 different Beartooth 44 bullets, 4 of them are dual crimp (18 C.O.L. combos). I am in the process of testing these (don't have them all yet) in the 444 Marlin and 44 Mag Handi's. But in my past experience, it is rare that I found ANY leading. But I do keep all load development pressure ranges between 28,000 PSI and 29,900 PSI, suppose be be the idea PSI range for 21 BHN cast bullets. Don't have any idea if this is true but loads are not max loads so what is the harm in testing, besides really cuts down on the combinations of different loads to test.

But in the past, my 444 marlin has been very accurate with almost everything I feed it.

·
Super Moderator
51,503 Posts
Did nothing to it except shoot it, it shoots great with the 240gr XTP and 265gr Hornady FP too. I did a trigger job on the frame before I sent it in for the accessory barrel.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
I tried the Lee 310 gr RF mold - the chamber in my .444 Handi was too short to let it seat - even in the 1st crimp groove (fortunately the Lee 310 shoots great in my M94 44 mag). A custom 290gr RF from the cast boolits site worked great - very similar to the Ranch Dog 300gr. With H4895 I can get some good tight groups, but they shoot too good to put many on paper - me & my shootin' buddy couldn't stand it shot up everything of no value, but destructive at the range.

Too many - BLAM - Dang!, Du See that!!'s.

·
Super Moderator
51,503 Posts
Velocities are marked on the targets, I think I'd shoot the 265gr, either the FP or FTX, I think the 240gr is probably a bit too light at 2350fps MV.

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts