Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I bought a marlin in 444 way back when to go on a boat hunt that I never went on. Turns out with the factory rem 240 gr jsp it was a thumper on whitetails. That was only when I hunted in a rifle county in Md so it didn’t see much time in the woods as I lived in a shotgun only county at the time.
now my county allows strait wall rifle cartridges so the marlin has a new chance at life in the deer woods.
the rifle was made in 1984 I believe so ithas the slower 1-38 twist. I came up with a very accurate load for the 240 gr xtp last year but I’m hesitant to use them at the velocity the 444 is pushing them.
I picked up a box of 265 ftx to try this year but the more I read the more I find out that some are having trouble stabilizing them in the slower twist barrels. To load these bullets the brass needs to be trimmed back to under the standard and if they don’t work I will have destroyed my already small supply of brass. Does anybody have experience using these?
I also cast 240 gr lswc for my 44 mag but they are sized to .430 instead of the .432 that the marlin likes in cast bullets. They are my last resort coming up with a good deer load.
I built a really nice mgm barreled tc encore in 350 legend but my son has taken that over full time. That was another finicky cartridge coming up with a decent accurate load but that’s another story

·
Registered
657 Posts
I only used factory 265 FTX in LE rounds in my 1980 .444S, but it was very accurate at those velocities. I'd look for a published load at or near those factory velocities and give them a go. Having used both the 265gr JFN and the 265gr FTX to take several big Kentucky whitetails, I never noticed any difference in terminal performance on them between those two bullets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. My load data with h4198 somewhere around 41-42 grains should get me there. I’m going to load 5 up and give it a go.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
A former GBO member bikerbeans did a lot of testing different bullets out of 444’s with 1- 38 twist barrels. Contrary to what is said to not work sometimes can as he had a cast bullet load shooting 342 gr. cast bullets in the 1-38 twist that were stabilized and shot very accurate.

jedman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts