Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 444P, I do not like the ports but love the compact straight stock package with the Ballard rifling.
Has anyone ever had their barrel swapped out for a non ported short barrel.

I may have to call marlin in the new year & see if this is possible

·
Registered
600 Posts
Marlin will replace the barrel on your 444P with a 22" barrel for around $150. You will then have to have it cut and crowned ($50-$75) and drilled and tapped for the front sight ($45-$60) if you want a shorter barrel.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
ONE HOLE 4570, The last 444P I saw on Gun Broker went for a pretty penny. You might want to check to see what these guns are bringing before you modify it.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

·
23,122 Posts
got to agree. The 444ps wernt made that long and not many of them come up for sale and its just going to get more valuable as the years go by. Plus even though i agree with you on the ports. My 444p is probably my favorite lever gun.

·
Registered
24,772 Posts
If I had one of those and if it is a good accurate barrel I often thought I'd take it to a machinist friend and have him loctitie in some scope mount screws than center the muzzle and end bore it and finish with an internal crown. That is if that is doable, and i think it is.

..TM7

·
Registered
600 Posts
Marlin will return your original barrel for the cost of shipping. That way you can restore it to original if you want.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was not aware the were worth that much, It is one of my favorite levers as well handles great & with a peep & fire sight it quick to the target.

May have to rethink this & just get use to it ???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts