Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello GBP brothers,

I'm considering reaming my 44s to 445 and had a few questions.
How long did it take?
Did it change the POI of your 44 loads?
Did it make 44 more accurate?
What is a reasonable expectation on 240 grain velocity?
How's the recoil?

Any comments are welcomed however.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Mine took just a minute or two, took longer to take the scope off and get it ready to ream.
I have not shot any 445 loads yet, mainly it got done because a friend rented the reamer and mine only cost me the fuel to drive out to his house.
Point of impact has not changed with 44 loads, at least with winchester white box

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
I see Pete lurking, he's gonna tell you top shorten it, first and foremost. ;D I had one and did find a marked increase of accuracy due to the reamer cutting a fine throat. I mostly shot 265gr FPs from it as a 445.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
731 Posts
Just to get the short barrel fires burning here is a picture of mine cut to 17.5 or so.. i forget exact measurement. I left it a little long so it could get threaded for a suppressor one day and still have room for crown and any possible mistake.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks SB and Dinny.

Pete, they are already cut and tapped for XS sights.

Here are the twins. Both with XS sights. They actually shoot quite well with open sights. As good as a low power scope. Will make a nice set and forget combo. I plan to shoot heavy out of the one that handles 300 grain best and the other will get the 1000 or so XTP and Nosler JHP 240 grains I have loaded. Next time I batch reload...They are getting plain base cast as fast as I can push them.

I want to get 1800 fps out of a 240? Thus the step up to 445. Both will probably get a date with the reamer depending on feedback.

Second reason is to load shotshells and have a little more room for shot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Those cast will shoot better after they're powder coated. ;) I have a bunch of 44 cal boolits.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Dinny said:
I see Pete lurking, he's gonna tell you top shorten it, first and foremost. ;D I had one and did find a marked increase of accuracy due to the reamer cutting a fine throat. I mostly shot 265gr FPs from it as a 445.

Thanks, Dinny
Plus and plus again on what Dinny said above. Better accuracy. I think of mine as my .45-70 Short or my little .45-70. Yeah, I've got a 16.5 inch .45-70 too. You'll find as either a .44 or a .445 it'll like chubbier bullets best. I had gotten a couple hundred 240 gr. .433 SWCGCs from Montana Bullet works. They shoot great, but I wanted a jacketed, so my Little Old Bullet Maker made me a hundred 240 gr. .432 JFPs to try. I loaded a few and went to chrony the load and blew up the chrony. That was a couple of days before I chopped up my hand with a circular saw and I hadn't been able to handle the recoil until recently. When tacklebury was visiting last week, we determined that the scope was indeed blown. I just finished mounting new Zee rings and scope and bore sighting this morning when the F*(&%^%**#@ rain started again, so there it sits. Perhaps tomorrow. I want a buck with that rifle and I only have two weeks to get it squared away.

Pete

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Easy job to ream to 445, just go slow and follow the directions. If you are looking for max velocity don't shorten the barrel. Mine is 22" and I was getting around 2140 fps with 240 xtp's at not quite a max load. I now use 265 ftx bullets at right around 2000 fps because they were far more accurate in my rifle. I don't bother with 44 mags anymore as I reamed simply for more ballistic power.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
A great deal depends on the typically faster burning pistol powder and the bullet but, in pistol calibers barrel length over 16 inches can actually slow the bullet. I expect I lost some velocity cutting my .356/.358 to 18 inches, but my 18 inch, straight walled .38-55 runs a 213 gr. bullet at 2275 fps.

Pete

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most of the things that I do aren't original. I want to load the 265 Hornady Flatpoint and guarantee myself 1700 FPS. That's as hard as I want to push. Will get me into a light 444 loading.

Watch the video from Scooter Backfired. That is an impressive result on a bullet that most complain wont expand. I figure if Im pushing it at 1700-1750 at the muzzle I can duplicate the performace hes getting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rldJgVKsiY

This should make short work of everything you get a good lick on.

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts
You won't be the first to use the 265gr Hornady FP, Digger has been using it for about a decade in his 445 SMs. ;)

Tim
Ditchdigger said:
Wolfgang,there's several that have gotten 1 1/2" groups with the larger bullets. The 265 gr.Hornady,300gr. XTP,and some use the 270gr. Goldots. The 445 super mag.will get you 1975 fps with the 300gr.bullets,the 265gr.bullet will do 2160 fps. and the 240 will do 2250 fps. with near max loads. The chamber of the handi's is .006" oversized and some swelling will occur above the web. There's been about 12 of these rechamber's done and everone like the cartridge. Quick was right about the rifle loads and tha handgun loads,they are different. Digger

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-cen...and-range-report/msg1098271045/#msg1098271045

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/no-3-hog-falls-to-445/msg489122/#msg489122

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Which of those 44 was the one I sold you? I want to show the original owner what has become of his 12 gauge

VVLLBS

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The one on the left. It is one of my most accurate barrels. Microgroove with a tight bore diameter. Im starting to grow fond of the microgrooves. 3-4 inches at 100 with cast and 2.5 at the same distance with jacketed.

I have one thats overbored at the moment and it only shoots lighter jacketed bullets well 240 and under. This will be my do it all caliber. One for the boat, one for the truck and one to accompany my Taurus. The fourth is a Talo.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Had my 44 rechambered by David White it was a mediocre shooter at best but after rechamber WOW. I have trimmed 444 cases down but 30/40 Krag gave me better reloads. It loves 250 and 300 grain powder coated cast.

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Had it reamed prior to getting on GBO, reamer rent would have saved me some $. David did rechamber and put 5 scew scope mount on for $100 and some change. The 30/40 brass came from Tulsa arms show new brass but necks all busted up so got 100 for $20. Coulndn't pass that up. But it worked better than I thought.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
445 brass shows up from time to time here.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I'm tight, made my cases from 30/40 instead of buying them. FWIW, you need to turn the rim just a hair in diameter. Only thing that threw me was that I made the first ones from Remington brass as it turned out, worked perfectly. Decided to make a few more and happened to grab some Winchester from my stash. Seating the exact same bullet (cast 250 PP) I couldn't chamber the round. Turns out the Win brass is slightly thicker and would swell just enough to bind. I have some more Rem so all is good, saving the Win for my 30/40AI. GW

1 - 20 of 28 Posts