Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting ready to send in a receiver to be fitter with a 32" 45/70 barrel. My dad has been reloading for this for his Marlin lever guns for a while - obviously with rounded, flat nosed or otherwise bullets.

I am wondering, with being a single shot, has anyone tried loading some TSXs or other pointed bullets in a 45/70?
Any thoughts or suggestions to that end?

Thinking of getting a higher B.C. and extending my elk range a bit...

Thanks a lot-

tdn

·
Registered
53 Posts
How fast are you guys pushing the Barnes bullets? I sent an e-mail to Barnes a while back regarding their 0.458" spitzers and intended velocities. They said that these are actually designed to be used at 458Win mag velocities and faster (Lott, Weatherby etc) and they would not reliably expand at lever gun velocities. They did say that they would work with Ruger #1 level 45-70 loads though.

Jim

Edit: I see Tim is linking to the #1 loads, so I guess he's pushing them pretty fast. The Hornady 325gr FTX bullet is another option, which will expand at lower velocities.

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Actually Tim, I e-mailed Hornady regarding what they recommended as the maximum velocity for the 0.458" FTX bullet. A guy on another forum was wanting to use them in a 458 Win Mag and I thought the same as you that it would be 2200fps or so. I mentioned that I was loading them for a single shot rifle that could handle higher pressures than the Marlin lever guns (and also mentioned the guy wanting to load them for his 458). Hornady responded saying 2400 to 2500fps was their max recommended velocity. The guy with the 458 e-mailed them as well and was given the same answer. Thats easily into 458 Win velocities, no problem loading them to Ruger level 45-70 speeds.

Jim

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
IMO the pointed bullets really offer nothing at .45-70 ranges or any leveraction ranges for that matter. Hornady sales hype is what it is.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts