Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just told at the local gun shop in town that the 45/70 was going to be a legal muzzleloader this year. Seems the cartridge falls into a category of OLD cartridges that will allow this.
Anybody elso from Mississippi heard this
Jeff

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found this

This an approved list that we have for the new public notice on the breechloading sigle shot rifles, kind or type manufactured before 1900 with an exposed hammer, .38 cal or larger.

This list is by no means exclusive. This is just a list comprised of commonly available rifles.

SINGLE SHOT BREECHLOADING RIFLES WHICH ARE PRIMATIVE WEAPONS:

Sharps rifles or replicas
Reminton Rollingblock rifles or replicas
Ballard rifles
Maynard rifles or replicas
Burnside carbines
Frank Wesson rifles
Remington Hepburn rifles
M1873-1888 Springfield (trapdoor) Rifles and Carbines and replicas
Snider (British) rifles or replicas
Wesson & Harrington 1871 Rifles
New England Firearms or Harrington & Richardson Handi Rifles
Winchester M1885 Hi Wall or Lo Wall rifles or replicas (Also Browning B78 or 1885)

SINGLE SHOT BREECHLOADING RIFLES WHICH ARE NOT PRIMATIVE WEAPONS!!!!

Ruger Number 1 and Number 3 (no exposed hammer)
Thompson Center Contender or Encore Carbines (designed after 1900)
Mossberg SSi Single Shot Rifle (no exposed hammer and designed after 1900)

http://www.mdwfp.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10972

·
Super Moderator
51,195 Posts
Yup, that is pretty darn liberal!! Our primitive firearms laws don't allow 209 ignition, enclosed ignition, jacketed bullets, or glass in sights, and they must be loaded from the muzzle :cry:

Tim

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
the muzzle loader hunting rules in some of these states are about as stupid as you can get.makes you wonder if "SHEMP" goes around and makes up their rules and laws for them.i think a non shooter and non hunter is behind most of these rules :?

must be my Contender is a pre 1900 model because it has an exposed hammer :shock:

·
Super Moderator
51,195 Posts
Having a muzzleloader season isn't always ideal, ours is pick one per game tag and that's it, no hunting deer with muzzleloader and modern firearm, it's one or the other unless you want to use the primitive weapon during the modern firearm season. :x

Tim

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Now...if we can just convice the Missouri Dept. of Conservation on this one :lol:

Mac

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet the 45/70 sales go through the ROOF in MS this year.
Maybe even starting with me!!!! 8)

Jeff

·
Registered
769 Posts
I had been thinking I could use my 45-70 handi here in Michigan if I shoved the powder and primer in the back and the bullet in the front. That last part might be a bit difficult however.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Guess I gotta be the nay-sayer. I personally think it's a bad thing. The whole idea of a primitive weapons season is to give those that "go at it the hard way" another chance at getting one. A 45/70 while old is not at all primitive. It's not even in the same class as a front stuffer. I wonder how many of those that take advantage of that law are casting their own and shooting real black.

I think modern muzzleloaders that shoot jacketed bullets with enclosed ignitions, some even using smokeless powder should be deemed "Modern Firearms" and restricted to that season. If you're gonna go traditional, then go traditional and don't ride the fence with a modern contraption that while loaded from the front is designed to shoot 250yd MOA groups in a rainstorm.

<<rant off>>

Ian

·
Super Moderator
51,195 Posts
I agree with ya Ian, but united we stand and divided we fall, so it's not good for hunters/shooters to pit the traditional against the modern in a squabble over what's right and what's wrong. Even Pennsylvania has done away with the requirement for patched round ball and flintlock only for part of their muzzleloading season.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
I'll stick with my Encore 209x50, Omega 50, or Tradations Purssuit LT 50.............I feel so undergunned thoufg,,,,,,, :cry:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree, it is not very traditional, But really and truly, neither is my NEF Hunstman!! The state seems to think we need to shoot MORE deer, guess this is a good way to entice folks to hunt that last "muzzleloader" season of the year.
Jeff

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is so bad is that I can hunt with the 45/70 and factory ammo during regular gun season for a 18.00 big game state liscense. If I hunt with the SAME gun and ammo during "muzzleloader"I have to buy the SPortsmans liscense for about 30.00 dollars. Go figure

Jeff

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Jeffery8mm said:
What is so bad is that I can hunt with the 45/70 and factory ammo during regular gun season for a 18.00 big game state liscense. If I hunt with the SAME gun and ammo during "muzzleloader"I have to buy the SPortsmans liscense for about 30.00 dollars. Go figure

Jeff
You're paying for the extra days.

I don't see any problem with using smokless in the cases for guns of the old chamberings. Even hopped up, they are never capable of banjo string trajectories. Anyone that can take long range game shots with black powder velocities will not notice any great advantage to smokeless loaadings, other than they won't have to go home and clean their gun that night. Any advangages smokeless gives to the trajectories of these old cartridges still won't make up for being able to read range and actually see. My biggest handicap with irons is my eyesight. Don't matter if I'm shooting a 300 Win Mag, past 125 yards or so, I simply can't see well enough to use irons past that range.

I also applaud Mississippi for their far sighted thinking in this. It is a great encouragement to get people who think it takes 5 rounds in the magazine of a magnum bolt or semi auto to hunt deer.

As to hunting in a traditional form, there is nothing in the laws to prevent anyone from doing so. There was a time, not too distant, that the only way to go out with ones V and Bead sighted Kentucky rifle was to do so during the regular firearms season. It garnered enough support to create a seperate season, perhaps this can generate enough interest to create some special hunts as well.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts