Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
:eek:

P.S> Also read the article about buying "bargin"( :?: :roll: ) powders below the add for the Pile Drivers.... :wink: Good info there too!! :shock:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Pile Driver

According to the Beartooth link, these loads develope less than 40,000 PSI. Would they be safe in the Handi 45-70? It is not one of the firearms listed in the article. I have no reason to use such a heavy load...but as I aquire more skill in reloading and shooting my 45-70, I will be trying lots of different loads just to see how they differ and how it feels to shoot them. If you have "Been there...Done That" your thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to Beartooth it should work fine for the marlins which
should be just fine in the handis

·
Registered
592 Posts
I once questioned the safety of heavier loads in the Handi. Here's what I learned. The Handi is chambered for the .450 Marlin, which is loaded to around 45k CUP. If it can handle the .450 at 45k, then it should have no problem with the .45-70 at 40k.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I use the Level 3/Ruger level loads (50k pressure) from the Hodgdon Manual EXCLUSIVELY in my 45-70 NEF Handi Rifle and experience absolutely ZERO problems and ZERO signs of over-pressure.

I get around 2300 fps with a Hornady 350gr RN over a case-full of H4198, and get over 2100 fps with the remington 405gr SP.

Hodgdon's data seems to be consistently hotter in several calibers than other reloading manuals; now that's what I LIIIIIIIIIIIKE !

Recoil? Youbetcha; that smack in the shoulder lets you know you just touched off something WORTHWHILE; not some mamby-pamby pip-squeak under 300 Mag energy level cartridge !
Go big or GO HOME !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts