Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a friend of mine cut my 45-70 to 17" and install a muzzlebreak($30) that I ordered. I don't know if it's gonna be a mistake or not, but I am anxious to see how it turns out. Either way it should make for a lot of fireworks with some hotloads:)! Has anyone else done anything like this with their 45-70???

My friend is a very experienced machinist!!!

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Nope, but I hope you're not shooting next to me! :eek: My .45-70 BC with my handloads (I'm told by range buds) has a ton of concussion to the sides and they wear earplugs and muffs when I'm shooting it usually. Brakes really make a loud gun worse usually and many ranges don't allow them on the line. Lotta guys have cut them down to shorter lengths though.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
I had one cut to 18" this summer but with no brake.
I also had a Sims pad installed.
Not to bad to shoot recoil wise but it is loud, even with out the brake.

LONGTOM

·
Premium Member
9,733 Posts
I'd go for a good recoil pad like a Limbsaver and forget the brake. That shorty is loud enough. A friend and neighbor had his .30-06 barrel cut for a brake. He hated it. Took it back to his gunsmith and had it cut off and re-crowned. Think twice before you leap.

Pete

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice, but I KNOW a brake is loud...I've been shooting race-guns, and ported contenders for years. I don't shoot at ranges so I'm not worried about the noise.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
I had a 45/70 that was 20" with a muzzle brake. It broke me of wanting any such thing again. Plug and ear phones were not enough to make it any fun to shoot...sent it down the road a couple of yrs ago and have never regreted it. Kurt

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Why would you put a muzzle brake on a 45/70 anyway? The recoil isn't really that bad, more like a hard shove than a kick.
If the recoil really bothers you, I agree with petemi's suggestion when he said: "I'd go for a good recoil pad like a Limbsaver and forget the brake."

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
And that's a vaild reason to do it, and a BEST reason as well. Congratulations on standing your ground and let us know how it works out. I have a shorty .280 remington and a 30-06 with a brake and they are fine, perhaps a bit loud but your shooting a high power rifle anyway....<><....:)

·
Premium Member
11,226 Posts
I once saw a man shoot a short barreled TC Encore in 45-70 with a brake. It was loud and offensive on the range. He liked it and it shot fairly well.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
giddens1972 said:
Well it's clear that there are plenty of muzzle-break haters on here. I am doing it because it is what I want to do with the gun.
You asked, we answered. BTW, I don't hate the muzzle brake idea, just the noise/concussion levels. If you want to do it by all means, do so, it is your gun, enjoy!

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
OldSchoolRanger said:
giddens1972 said:
Well it's clear that there are plenty of muzzle-break haters on here. I am doing it because it is what I want to do with the gun.
You asked, we answered. BTW, I don't hate the muzzle brake idea, just the noise/concussion levels. If you want to do it by all means, do so, it is your gun, enjoy!
EXACTLY! OSR!!!!

I think "Haters" is a strong word in this case... "Been there done that" is more accurate! :eek: ;) ;)

BTW, I'll add my name to that list too if anyone is counting. ::)

CW

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Lost a good part of my hearing in my right ear as I was wearing plugs and some guy 50' to my right let go a magnum with a break. Felt the concussion travel from one side of my head to the other. He would have blown out my eardrum if I was next to him. :(

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
Elkoholic said:
one word...."earplugs!" ;)

post some pics when it's done. Hope
it turns out great!

Mike
Even with ear plugs simply being near someone shooting a rifle with a brake on it is offensive.. Some ranges do not even allow there use. Its felt almost as much as its herd...

CW

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
cwlongshot said:
Elkoholic said:
one word...."earplugs!" ;)

post some pics when it's done. Hope
it turns out great!

Mike

Even with ear plugs simply being near someone shooting a rifle with a brake on it is offensive.. Some ranges do not even allow there use. Its felt almost as much as its herd...

CW
Last time I took my son to the range to shoot his 45 Colt Carbine there was a guy shooting a braked 7mm Magnum. The noise was completely ridiculous. The guy redeemed himself when he offered to let me shoot his H&R Trapdoor with black powder loads. ;D

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Congrats on the 45-70. I owned an AR with a brake and people around me complained of the noise, but I have to tell you, it didn't even move when you dropped the hammer! I loved shooting it and being able to watch my hits in the scope. Some may feel that the recoil of a 'normal' loaded 45-70 is not bad, but I had an accident a while back and ended up selling my 45-70 Handi because it's recoil hurt me at that time. I did not even think of putting on a brake at the time and I wish I had for I'd still own that gun. But we live and learn. I hope you enjoy your 45-70, it sounds like a really neat shorty! Please post pics when it is done. 44 Man

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.