Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had the rifling bored out of a 45-70 rifle to make a smoothbore? Apparently long ago the Army issued such guns and ammo for foraging in the frontier areas. Should be at least as effective as .410 shotgun on small game while high pressure loads firing normal weight bullets should compare with 12 or 20 gauge shotgun slugs at short range on larger animals.

·
Registered
579 Posts
almost did it with a 444 barrel that was bad, but Brian 56 daved the day. If the barrel was bad I would consider doing it, but otherwise I think it's a lot of trouble for nothing gained over a 20 gauge shotgun.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
I agree, my cut down .410 shotgun barrel, 20" long, with iron sights added via epoxy, performs stellar with .41 cal pistol bullets. I load em up with cardboard wads which I punch out myself and I get the cardboard free. For a cover-up wad, I use milk carton wads I punch out from milk cartons, then I use a little Duco Cement to adhere the cards in place. Once it dries, I add a few drops of wax to them to keep them more water proof. It'll shoot about 2" at 50 yards and still works for rabbits out to about 30 yards with #6 shot. I am hoping to get this sent out for choke tubes, because it would perform a little better with shot, but it seems like something else is always jumping ahead of the line. Still, I keep a 20" .410 barrel from a youth set I had purchased and keep them both in the same case with my reloading setup and it's survivor stock and store-end forend. Makes a nice little unit. I also have a .22 Versapack barrel in there and that's my bugout bag. I made ammo straws by sealing one end with a heated pair of pliers and then filling them with .22 ammo and then sealing the other end. They aren't hermetic, but keep the ammo waterproof to about 14 feet before they pop and keep dirt and debris off them. I filled the survivor butt stock with the ammo straws and about 15 slug and #6 shot loads, so I figure if I used ammo wisely, that one gun would last me the better part of 2 years for just hunting in an shtf situation. That's my bugout kit. ;)

Picture of ammo straws color coded to for the different types. I have CCI minimags in the Red, Federal Lightnings in the purple, High velocity shorts in the orange and green are cb caps.:

I don't have a picture with the survivor stock on right now, but this was when I made it and had a synthetic monte carlo stock on it:

And this one is with it broken down to show that the barrel was cut where it's about the same overall length as the stock/receiver to fit in a bag nicely together:

Makes a great gun overall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts