Graybeard Outdoors banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

.45-70 vs. 416 Rigby

67K views 199 replies 48 participants last post by  Graybeard 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm a Trad. bowhunter. I made my 1st trip to Africa for plains game in 2001. I hope to go back in 2004. I also enjoy shooting big bore handguns.
When I go back I'd like to hunt with my bow, Freedom Arms casull and a rifle.
I've be considering a Ruger 1 in either .45-70 or .416 Rigby.

The trip would be for plains game, and I really don't see myself hunting out past 100yrds.

How do these two cal. rounds compare?

Thank you.

#2 ·
The 416 is a far more powerful and versatile rifle then the 45/70. I would not consider the 45/70 a practical hunting rifle for Africa it's just an odd caliber for longer shots, and looses power quickly beyond 100 yards. I would much prefer a simple bolt rifle in the 416 caliber.

For plains game only you don't need anything that big. A 338 or 300 mag is plenty. The 30/06 is one of the most popular plains game rifles of all time. Actually the Casull is plenty already for your plains game hunting out to 60-80 yards and that is a common distance for most game in the Transvaal.

#3 ·
JJHack - Thank you.

I am rather fond of cal. starting with "4". With my trad. bowhunting back ground I do really prefer hunting close. I also prefer open sites. I don't see myself hunting out past 100yrds. However It's good to know that the .416 will still be flat & powerful ouit farther if needed.

I do know thatr the 45-70 has killed a lot of brown bears and moose here so I would think it would work on a big Eland.

On concern would be finding ammo on the road .416 should be easy in RSA but Alaska? Vise Versa?

#4 ·
The main reason the 416 will never surpass the 375HH as the best cartridge in the world is due almost entirely to the availability of ammo.

There is for all practical purposes one 375 diameter cartridge. Several of the wildcats can actually use the 375HH cartridge as well in a pinch. Like shooting 38 specials out of a 357 magnum.

How many 416 cartridges are there? Way too many. If there was only one 416 cartridge it would have the real chance to surpass the 375HH (maybe).

The 375HH with a good scope like a 2.5-8 VariXIII is the single best hunting rifle for the whole world. There is ammo for it everyplace big game is hunted the world over. Nearly the same can be said for the 30/06. I doubt you will find 45/70 or 416 in the cartridge you need in foreign countries. I think that is an important consideration for an international hunter. If I were to choose something bigger then the 375HH I would go to the 458 win Mag or the 458 Lott. Both can shoot 458 Win mag ammo and in Africa the 458 win mag is popular. With the 458 Lott you will have an unbelievable sledgehammer of a rifle with shooting out to 250 yards not a problem.

#6 ·
JJ - I'm really glad I came to this site, I appreciate your help. Opinions on the web are plentiful, objective information is harder top come by.

I got interested in this topic after reading an artical in December's Guns & Ammo about Ruger & Hornady bringing out a M77 MKII mag in .458 Lott. Funny how it came full circle.

I had read a bit about guys hunting in Africa with .45-70 & 416 Rigby. I'm still learning about these rifles so this was helpfull. I know the .375 HH has killed eveything I'm interested in hunting. I 'm guilty of that American condition, of More is Better.

I always try to consider the what if's, it's that old boy scout "always be prepared" motto, I guess. I've heard about so many guys that over looked those little detais, such as ammo availablity away from home, only to have it impact thier trips.

#8 ·
anyone whom second guesses a 45-70's killing potential should look at the game it HAS KILLED better yet show us what game it HASN'T KILLED! Handloads in a 45-70 in today's modern lever guns or single shot break actions easily meet 416 factory levels with a bigger bullet.
Yes the 375 is a great caliber no questioning that but a .375 bullet is still just .375 not .458 untill you reform that neck to 458Lott which sheds FPS faster than the 45-70 after 200 yds
Make no mistake the modern 45-70 rifles are not your great grandpas rifles. Trapdoors could never handle Corbon ammo or 55.0 gr of 3031 pushing a 405 gr bullet @2200 FPS. But even those old BP 45-70 killed elephants/lion/buffalo/etc.
In a few months I am going back to Namibia along with my 300WSM I am also taking a Marlin 1895 LTD 45-70 and a Contender 14" 45-70 Eland is my main objective this trip.
If anyone wonders at the killing power of a 45-70 on eland all they need to do is look at all the eland that havew been killed with a 270

#9 ·
I guess by what I am going by is no hand loads all factory ammo that they sell everywhere. I understand that they can be a stout load but most poeple go by what they can pick up off the shelf, that is what i am going by. I am assuming you are comparing a beefed up version of the 45-70 vs. trapdoor on the 416. :D

#10 ·
first thing you need to do is seperate the inferior factory trash from the quality factory loads, such as Corbon for the 45-70. The second thing you must do is learn to handload cause a box of Corbon is about $45, they can easily be duplicated by a novice handloader for under $10.
In 2001 I shot a 2000# bull bison in the forehead at 80 yds and the bullet exited the left ham right alongside the base of the tail!!!!!! I'd like to see a 375 do that while pushing a nickel size bullet!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 ·
JJHACK said:
The 416 is a far more powerful and versatile rifle then the 45/70. I would not consider the 45/70 a practical hunting rifle for Africa it's just an odd caliber for longer shots, and looses power quickly beyond 100 yards. I would much prefer a simple bolt rifle in the 416 caliber.

For plains game only you don't need anything that big. A 338 or 300 mag is plenty. The 30/06 is one of the most popular plains game rifles of all time. Actually the Casull is plenty already for your plains game hunting out to 60-80 yards and that is a common distance for most game in the Transvaal.
I have both a 45-70 and a 416 Rigby. The 45-70 loaded to the max and shot out of my Ruger #1 does not come close to the power of my 416 Rigby. JJHACK you are so right about your statement. :D

#15 ·
GEMSBUCK said:
I believe your post was jaded towards the 416! You should have said a max loaded 45-70 is not the equivlent of a max loaded 416 after 100 yds .
But it that max Garrett load does surpass factory 416 ammo
Well, to be completely fair, maybe we should compare max 45-70 loads to maximum 416 loads, not factory 416 Rigby that's down loaded out of respect for double rifles and older guns. If you load the 416 to its full potential in a modern bolt action, it absolutely eclipses the 45-70 in any form. For instance, in a strong gun, the 416 Rigby can easily sling a 400 grain bullet in excess of 2600 fps with good handloads. The Rigby can also use bullets that have a high enough ballistic coefficient to make full use of that higher velocity. There aren't enough 416 Rigby owners out there with modern bolt guns and iron shoulders to justify any company coming out with "+P" Rigby ammo, but that doesn't mean hand loaders can't safely boost Rigby performance, just like we do the 45-70.

#16 ·
GEMSBUCK said:
I believe your post was jaded towards the 416! You should have said a max loaded 45-70 is not the equivlent of a max loaded 416 after 100 yds .
But it that max Garrett load does surpass factory 416 ammo
Not jaded in the least. I don't buy factory rounds, I reload. So I know for a fact the 416 out performs the 45-70. Try to get a 400 gr. slug out of your 45-70 to shoot 2600 fps. You can't. But the 416 Rigby will and not be max loaded.
Don't get me wrong, I love the 45-70, I own several. I also know it does not compare to the 416 Rigby. If it did the 45-70 would be the King round of Africa, but it is not. :D

#17 ·
I never said a max 45-70 was equal to a max 416 (I own both) I said a max 45-70 is equal to factory 416 (the required min. cal is .375 for most African countries in regard to DG ) The max 45-70 surpasses the min just as factory loaded 416 ammo does.
BTW the 416 is not "the king caliber" in Africa but rather the 375 H&H is.
I am getting 2350 out of my 420gr .458...that's close enough to 2600 that I'd call it splitting hairs

#18 ·
GEMSBUCK said:
I never said a max 45-70 was equal to a max 416 (I own both) I said a max 45-70 is equal to factory 416 (the required min. cal is .375 for most African countries in regard to DG ) The max 45-70 surpasses the min just as factory loaded 416 ammo does.
BTW the 416 is not "the king caliber" in Africa but rather the 375 H&H is.
I am getting 2350 out of my 420gr .458...that's close enough to 2600 that I'd call it splitting hairs
Don't get so touchy there GEMSBUCK. :D

My whole point was if the 45-70 was such a good round and equaled the 416 Rigby, why would anyone need a 416 Rigby or a 375 H&H for the matter?? The 45-70 should be all you would need, but it is not that way. That is what I meant by being the King caliber comment.

The 2350 fps you have down for the 420 gr bullet, is that from a 45-70? Also what is your load. I could not find anything that comes that close in any of my reloading manuals. 7 different books and 2000 to 2100 fps tops for a 400 gr. bullet. I was looking at all the Ruger # 1 load data.

#19 ·
#20 ·
To drive home the point in comparing .45-70's to the .416, note that the .458 win with a 400gr load in Trophy Bonded Bear Claw by Federal shows an almost identical trajectory:

http://www.federalcartridge.com/amm...firearm=1&bc=0.381&muzzvel=2380&bulletwgt=400

The point of the comparison is that the energies of the .416 Rigby are very much in line with those of the .458 win. This implies that all the comments comparing .45-70s with the .458 win hold up well.

HOWEVER, to give due credit, penetration has much to do with the construction of the bullet, as well as the energy. Softer bullets will tend to mushroom or explode at higher energy, giving less penetration than lower energies (paradoxically), BUT, in the process, will do more damage to the tissues where they hit.

One good comparison and some more detailed discussions of these points is given in:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1011537/posts

At higher energies, cast bullets won't make it through a barrel at .458 or .416 energies, but will if you reduce the charge. Paper patching can give you more flexibility with lead bullets. Harder bullets have more tin (and other metals). This looks much like old lead solder -- it can "tin" your barrel (the metal binds to the inside of your barrel). Even with lower black powder charges in a .45-70, there's a risk of that... BUT, people have had good terminal ballistics with hard-cast bullets at lower energies -- can't argue with success. But, I've been very curious to hear whether anybody has noticed (or cared about) tinning in their barrels?

Dan

#21 ·
redhawk1: Am I allowed to post my load? Well I guess I can as you asked*** this is for my 1895 24" Marlin, though I have shot it out of my 32" BC Classic as well, both over my Chrony with an average of 2591 FPS
*** I do not suggest you load up to my level without working up to it first!
58.6 gr IMR3031 (compressed)/ Federal 215/420 gr FNGC/Starline brass***not for the recoil timid :) Gemsbuck

#22 ·
GEMSBUCK said:
redhawk1: Am I allowed to post my load? Well I guess I can as you asked*** this is for my 1895 24" Marlin, though I have shot it out of my 32" BC Classic as well, both over my Chrony with an average of 2591 FPS
58.6 gr IMR3031 (compressed)/ Federal 215/420 gr FNGC/Starline brass***not for the recoil timid :) Gemsbuck
That gives (420 gr/7000 gr/lb) * (2591 ft/sec)^2 / 2 / (32 ft/sec^2) = 6293.7 ft-lbs

That beats the Lott!!

Dan

#23 ·
GEMSBUCK said:
GEMSBUCK, I am a little puzzled by your load.
In my Barnes number3 book a 300 gr. bullet only goes 2011 fps with 54.0 gr. of 3031 for the Marlin Lever action gun. Now shooting up to the Ruger #1 load data again a 300 gr. bullets with 58.0 gr of IMR3031 is listed at 2094 fps. I am just wondering how a 420 gr. bullet would be faster than a lighter bullet with the same load? The fastest 400 gr bullet I find listed in the Barnes book is 1934 fps with 56.0 gr. of H4895.

My Speer manual lists a 400 gr. bullet with 54.0C of IMR3031 load at 1786 fps. Now this is a Strong Action Ruger #1 or 3, not recommended in the Marlin Lever action. You are 4.6 gr. higher than the max recommended load for a Ruger #1 or 3 and shooting it in a gun not meant for such a load.

In my opinion you are playing with a time bomb. I would not shoot your load in my Ruger #1 let alone a Marlin Lever action.

***So please no one try his load in any of your guns. It is in my opinion, way overloaded.***

#25 ·
Yup -- the .416 etc are more powerful than a .45-70 (unless you're willing to risk injury).

But, it might be worth considering that the terminal performance of the old .45-70 can be much better than energy figures might give credit for on the surface. Still, it will never do what needs to be done on an elephant's skull to reach the brain from the front with the kind of reliability that is required.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.