Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
??? I have a BC 45-70 on the way and have talked to some of you about converting to 45-120 but I find that 45-90 and 45-100 brass are more readily available. I plan on shooting 405 gr and larger bullets at average speeds. I'll up-grade the sights as needed and plan on shooting smokeless powder although Jim Shockys Gold does create some interest with me. I have a few friends with Shilo Sharps rifles that I hope to compete with and probably would not hunt with this big long rifle unless a horse was involved. Would just like to have any and all input before the decision gets made. I don't want to leave it as a 45-70 I already have one and want this to be different.
thanks in advance for your help. - F50

·
Super Moderator
51,154 Posts
There's no doubt the 90 and 100 brass is readily available and considerably less expensive, but they don't have the "shock and awe" of the big 120, that's why I went with it, the others just seem to be also rans in that department, bigger just looks better!! ;D

Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
sorry, not to hijack this thread...
are the 90's available as ready made ammo, by remington or whoever ?
or is it handloaded only ?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Stick with the 90. Unless you're loading black powder, there's really not much difference due to the case capacity and smokeless powders available.

I have a 90 and I love it!

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Tim,
i have a few questions about this, but i dont wanna hijack this thread..
i'll pm ya ..

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
smokinjoe,
how did you get your 90, did you ream it yourself ?
and, how does shooting 70's in the 90 chamber work out ?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Scibaer, the .45-70 to .45-90 ream job is the easiest you'll ever do. Since it's only lengthening the chamber by about .3, you can hand-turn it using a tap/die stock and it only takes about three turns.
I have 2 .45-90s, both based on the Buffalo Classic barrel; one is full length and I use it for target and BPCR shooting with the Paul Jones 535 Creedmore bullet. The other I shortened to 28" for hunting, and it's a real powerhouse.
You can shoot .45-70s in it if you want, however it will foul .3 " of your chamber and you must take extra care to get it clean. Also the extra "freebore" can sometimes goof up the accuracy.......sometimes, not always.

http://4-dproducts.com/displayitem.php?rowid=265&tname=rental

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
'if' i ream to 90, then thats what i'd shoot. i just wondered "what if " ( i do that alot )
so, the ream job is something i can do myself then ? how much gunsmith skill wound i need ?

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
i can and do often.
what keeps the reamer straight or uniform in the chamber ?
what controls its final depth, how is the cutting part polished up ?
do i need a chamber measurer of overalll length ?
ah.. instructions, i need step by step instructions for reaming for dummies, lol ..
yep, that'd do it..

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
fanner50, check your PM, too.

By the way, just to further hijack the thread, I'm about half done with a 50 Sharps on the Handi Rifle action.
I'll post some pictures when she's done.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problemo amigos. I learned something too. It does make since to stay with the 90 using smokeless powder. I could also just throat the 45-70 and call it good. The guys I will shoot with both have 45-70 Shilo's. I just like to be different. Now I need to figure out what to do about sights.
On the 50 Sharps did you re-bore a 32" BC and chamber or custom barrel?

·
Super Moderator
51,154 Posts
One advantage of using a throating reamer is you end up with a tapered leade into the rifling instead of the abrupt end of the rifling H&Rs come with. ;)

Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts