Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be a very dumb question, but can you fire .45 ACP (with moon clips) in a .45 Colt DA revolver?

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
The only way you can do the is, if the cylinder is modified by a gunsmith the accept moon clips. I have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull that had the modification done, I can shoot 45ACP and 45 Win mags with moon clips and also 45 Colts and 454 Casulls without moon clips.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hello Griz
As The Previous Poster stated the Head space would be far too much without Moon Clips. You Can how ever buy ammunition that will work without Moon clips called .45 Auto Rim. This ammo will have a Thick Rim to take the Place of the Moon clip, and it is Rather expensive and hard to find. I hope this Helps, Hammerdown

·
Registered
557 Posts
Old said:
May be a very dumb question, but can you fire .45 ACP (with moon clips) in a .45 Colt DA revolver?
As has been pointed out, no, you will not be able to fire ACP rounds in the 45 Colt.

Hammerdown, are you sure the AR will fit in the LC? I think the rim will be too thick, just like the ACP with the clip.

I have seen somewhere a conversion that allows you to use 45 LC with clips in a handgun so chambered.

There is a link somewhere or search for moonclip conversions.

·
Registered
257 Posts
45AR won't fit in a revolver chambered for only 45 Colt. It fits properly in a revolver chambered in 45acp such as the 25-2 or 625.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have revolvers for .45 Colt and .45 ACP and don’t feel the need to shoot both through the same cylinder. I have a .45 Colt Redhawk which can take advantage of the full potential of .45 Colt. I also have a S&W 25-2 and 625 that take .45 ACP and .45 AR, and a Ruger Blackhawk with 2 cylinders that takes .45 Colt, .45 ACP and .45 AR. Any excuse to expand the collection is a good excuse.

·
Registered
507 Posts
StrawHat said:
Old said:
As has been pointed out, no, you will not be able to fire ACP rounds in the 45 Colt.

Hammerdown, are you sure the AR will fit in the LC? I think the rim will be too thick, just like the ACP with the clip.

I have seen somewhere a conversion that allows you to use 45 LC with clips in a handgun so chambered.

There is a link somewhere or search for moonclip conversions.

Hello StrawHat
My mistake, I read the Posters question with haste on this. The .45 Colt should NOT be fired with .45 ACP rounds. The Bullet diameter in the .45 ACP is a Tad Bit smaller and the cylinder throats of the .45 Colt are Much deeper than the ACP cylinder. Regards, Hammerdown

1 - 9 of 9 Posts