Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 45 Colt Blackhawk which I like very much. Unusually it seems more accurate with the conversion cylinder installed firing 45acp.

Just wondering if it would be OK, or wise, to fire 45-SMC or 45-Super in my revolver.

I assume its OK.....don't know its wise.

...TM7

·
Registered
796 Posts
I don't have a 45auto cyl for my Ruger but you will not hurt your Blackhawk shooting 45Super through it. I have shot a load in 45LC with a 335 grain cast bullet at 1193 ft/sec without a hiccup so I don't think any super mag cartridge is going to pressure test it in any way.

·
Administrator
26,044 Posts
To some extent the answer depends on which BH you have. Is it the full size or the flat top? If full size then it's tougher than anything in the acp case. If it's the flat top chances are it's still up to it but I don't know what pressures the 45-SMC or 45-Super run at. The flat top is NOT as strong as the full size BH.

·
Registered
24,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not the flat top....regular BH.
45-Super and SMC utilize ACP length case but jazz the pressure up to mid-20k range. I guess like a +P+ load....
..TM7

·
Registered
24,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx Bill.

Actually maximum pressure for the 45super and smc is 28,000psi.

..TM7

·
Registered
582 Posts
What Bill said.

I have a 45 acp cylinder for my Blackhawk that was converted to 45 Winchester Magnum in the late 80's and it is still running strong.

Steve...........

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I load my 45 Colt cyl to Max for Ruger and TC as found in some reloading books. It is at 44 mag preformance with less pressure.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have had my Ruger BH since the early 80's and run mostly RCBS 270 Gr SAA and Lee 300 Gr cast bullets through mine at very near max levels since new and it still is tight and running strong, I believe it'll be running strong long after I am no longer here.

Steve.........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts