Graybeard Outdoors banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
No it can not...I see this all the time and it simply is not correct. Now having said that, the 45 Colt when loaded with the upper end of Ruger/TC loads will equal and sometimes exceed the killing power of the 44 magnum. It will do this simply because of heavier bullets and a larger diameter and do it with less pressure but, it will not be a hotter load than the 44 magnum.
Seems you're pretty definite with your opinion relative to the 45 Colt. The 45 Colt can be had with either a 5 or 6 shot cylinder. The 6 shot Ruger Redhawk or a 5 shot Freedom Arms or any 5-shot custom revolver can handle about all the pressure you will want to handle and that 44 magnum will play h*ll keeping up.

Speaking for myself - I can push a 320 grain hard cast bullet from a 4-3/4" barrel, 45 Colt Revolver to 1,486 fps - try that with a 44 Magnum. The 44 Magnum is one fine caliber and use to wear the crown as King of the Big Bores until John Linebaugh came along and established the fact the crown rightfully belongs to the 45 Colt. The 45 Colt also has the "killing power" edge, not that any animal properly hit with either caliber would know the difference. Not much difference to talk about but coming in 2nd place by a nano-second is still second place.;)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Ok I will apologize ahead of time for getting off the original topic, but I felt the need to clear up a few things as I see them. This is strictly my opinion but I believe it is a pretty good rule of thumb.

If you have a can that is labeled beans and you open it to find corn, that doesn't make the contents beans. It makes it a can of corn mislabeled as beans.

A 45 Colt cartridge loaded above SAAMI spec's for vintage Colt pistols and the like are no longer 45 Colt rounds. Just like a 38 special loaded to 357 magnum spec's is no longer a 38 special or a 44 special loaded to 44 magnum is no longer a 44 special or a 45-70 loaded to T/C/Ruger level is no longer a 45-70. Just because the head stamp says 45 Colt, that does not mean that is what it is. If you are saying that it is still a 45 Colt, then by all means load it up in that antique revolver and pull the trigger, just let me know in advance so I can be well clear of the blast sight, get the paramedics on the way and survive so I can direct them to the site of the carnage.

It's funny how folks talk about hot rodding one and comparing it to another limiting it to SAAMI spec's.

When you load one of these high powered 45colt rounds what percentage increase is there in pressure? If you are comparing two different calibers, wouldn't it be fair to increase the pressure by the same percentage, as well as have the same weight projectiles? How much difference is there in case capacity?

It's always more details to consider when comparing two things that are marginally different.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Naw, when you indicate one caliber has an advantage over another - well, maybe so and then again maybe no. I just pointed out that the "modern" 44 magnum is one super fine caliber but the "modern" 45 Colt can dance every tune with the 44 Magnum. We are not talking about balloon head cases and 1st generation colt peacemakers here - the Ruger Redhawk, Freedom Arms and BFG's - they can handle the pressure, as can 45 Colt Starline brass, that the 44 magnums were built to and then some. Other revolvers? probably not, but I'm not referring to those "other" revolvers. A mans got to know his limitations.:)

John Linebaugh crowned the 45 Colt, King of the Hill, between these two calibers and that's the way it will remain until the 44 magnum changes it's case specs.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Dang guys, I passed up a good deal. A LGS had the 45 Colt BC for $399 and they said they would go $350. I thought it was too much. Finally talked myself into going in there a few months back and making them an offer but it was gone. It had sit on their shelf for 3-4 years before that. :(

Rosewood

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Ok I will apologize ahead of time for getting off the original topic, but I felt the need to clear up a few things as I see them. This is strictly my opinion but I believe it is a pretty good rule of thumb.

If you have a can that is labeled beans and you open it to find corn, that doesn't make the contents beans. It makes it a can of corn mislabeled as beans.

A 45 Colt cartridge loaded above SAAMI spec's for vintage Colt pistols and the like are no longer 45 Colt rounds. Just like a 38 special loaded to 357 magnum spec's is no longer a 38 special or a 44 special loaded to 44 magnum is no longer a 44 special or a 45-70 loaded to T/C/Ruger level is no longer a 45-70. Just because the head stamp says 45 Colt, that does not mean that is what it is. If you are saying that it is still a 45 Colt, then by all means load it up in that antique revolver and pull the trigger, just let me know in advance so I can be well clear of the blast sight, get the paramedics on the way and survive so I can direct them to the site of the carnage.

It's funny how folks talk about hot rodding one and comparing it to another limiting it to SAAMI spec's.

When you load one of these high powered 45colt rounds what percentage increase is there in pressure? If you are comparing two different calibers, wouldn't it be fair to increase the pressure by the same percentage, as well as have the same weight projectiles? How much difference is there in case capacity?

It's always more details to consider when comparing two things that are marginally different.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
There are none so blind as those who do not care to see.

Enjoy the 43mag, I'll enjoy the 45 Colt. There is plenty of room for both of us.

CW

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Naw, when you indicate one caliber has an advantage over another - well, maybe so and then again maybe no. I just pointed out that the "modern" 44 magnum is one super fine caliber but the "modern" 45 Colt can dance every tune with the 44 Magnum. We are not talking about balloon head cases and 1st generation colt peacemakers here - the Ruger Redhawk, Freedom Arms and BFG's - they can handle the pressure, as can 45 Colt Starline brass, that the 44 magnums were built to and then some. Other revolvers? probably not, but I'm not referring to those "other" revolvers. A mans got to know his limitations.:)

John Linebaugh crowned the 45 Colt, King of the Hill, between these two calibers and that's the way it will remain
I fixed your quote ;)

CW

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Finally got a time we could both meet and headed out to meet the guy now. If it's all he says it is it's coming home with me. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
If u take for example a 45 colt with a 240 grain bullet and push it to 1300fps, and a 44mag with a 240 grain bullet and push it to 1300 fps in an equivalent revolver, using the same type powder i.e.h110, the 45 colt will be less pressure. That is just physics. Although the 45 colt will need a tad more powder.

Now if u download a 44mag to 44spcl specs, so do u now have a 44spcl, or is it still a 44mag??

Rosewood

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I now own a 45 Colt Buffalo Classic Carbine. I have to say it's got a very nice feel to it. The short length is perfect for the ground blind. I really hate to scope it, but a peep is my only other option, so I'm deep in thought. Going by the HX prefix I come up with a 2007 year. It doesn't say SB2 anywhere on the barrel or receiver. I plan on starting out with standard (not Cowboy) ammo. Should I decided to reload for it am I safe to go hotter??

·
Registered
95 Posts
I now own a 45 Colt Buffalo Classic Carbine. I have to say it's got a very nice feel to it. The short length is perfect for the ground blind. I really hate to scope it, but a peep is my only other option, so I'm deep in thought. Going by the HX prefix I come up with a 2007 year. It doesn't say SB2 anywhere on the barrel or receiver. I plan on starting out with standard (not Cowboy) ammo. Should I decided to reload for it am I safe to go hotter??
You can reload "hotter". I use loads in my Classic Carbine that are for Ruger Old Model Vaq, FA revolvers, Marlin 1894, etc.. The +P loads

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have both a 44 mag. and 45 Colt Handi's and up until this year had killed nothing with either. I finally decided to hunt antelope with the 44 mag this year and killed an average buck at a distance that I estimated at 150 yards with a 300 gr. Beartooth hard cast backed up by some AA#9. I have yet to find a load in my 45 Colt that is as accurate, but I would take the same shot with it if I had using similar components. Not sure why I have both as they duplicate each other's performance. I also have a 444 Marlin Handi, which covers both and then some.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Any book load is safe including Ruger-T/C loads.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Congratulations on purchasing a fine Carbine.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
The factory Classic Carbine in 45C is an SB-2 frame. The same frame that will take the 45-70 to Marlin lever gun loads or, as some have said, to the Ruger No.1 level loads.
Factory 45C loads are downloads in todays world because the factories do not know what you are going to put them into that is labeled 45C. The 'cowboy loads' are more like the 44Spl. compared to the 44Magnum, so think of them as 45'Spl'.
The factory loads will probably do all the 'work' you need done. If they would not I would go to the 444 or 45-70 rather than stoke the 45C up, but thats just me and my way of looking at things.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The factory Classic Carbine in 45C is an SB-2 frame. The same frame that will take the 45-70 to Marlin lever gun loads or, as some have said, to the Ruger No.1 level loads.
Factory 45C loads are downloads in todays world because the factories do not know what you are going to put them into that is labeled 45C. The 'cowboy loads' are more like the 44Spl. compared to the 44Magnum, so think of them as 45'Spl'.
The factory loads will probably do all the 'work' you need done. If they would not I would go to the 444 or 45-70 rather than stoke the 45C up, but thats just me and my way of looking at things.
If I can drop a deer inside 100 yards, and realistically where I'm hunting, will be inside 50 yards, then I'm happy. I think I'm going to try the Federal American Eagle 225 gr JSP's and see how they do. If I need more than what a 45 Colt +P will do I'll go to my 45/70.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Looks like a max load of H110 makes the 44 Mag (240 gr) and 45 Colt (250 gr) kissing cousins. The 44 is about 75 fps faster but the 45 makes lower pressure. Think I’m gonna like this just fine.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'm essentially loading mine to mild .44 mag levels.

230 grain cast boolit. 6.4 grains of Red Dot. I could go at least a grain heavier considering I'm shooting it out of a handi barrel.

But I am no longer one of those guys who needs speed.

Nice big chunk of lead moving from 800 to 1400 fps.

Speed is nice for trajectory and less holdover, but it hurts you on penetration.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Looks like a max load of H110 makes the 44 Mag (240 gr) and 45 Colt (250 gr) kissing cousins. The 44 is about 75 fps faster but the 45 makes lower pressure. Think I’m gonna like this just fine.
IIRC we've had members here get into low end trapdoor 45/70 ballistics with their 45 Colt carbines using RL7 powder with 300 grain bullets. The 45 Colt from a rifle length barrel is a beast with the right loads. We had another member chronograph the heavy 45 Colt 325 grain hard cast Buffalo Bore loads through his carbine and the velocity was well over 1700 fps, equal in energy to a factory 300 grain trapdoor load.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 62 Posts