Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like an interesting round. Does anyone have any experience, comments on this cartridge, the 458 x2" aka the .458 American?

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
It's an oldie, haven't heard it mentioned for quite some time!

No experience with it. It was quite popular (for a wildcat) at one time. I think the "resurgence" of the .45/70 kind of put it on the back burner.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
It's a very good round. It was popular with wildcatters many years ago. Uploaded 45/70, downloaded .458 Winch. Mag, 450 Marlin, 458 Bushmaster all do the same thing with the same bullets . But if you like wildcats, why not?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I don't think that I've seen that caliber in print, or heard it mentioned in 40 years. IIRC, there's nothing wrong it it, just that there are a number of commercial rounds available that duplicate its performance.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking about this round or perhaps a 458x2.25" on an M-48 action. Any problems I should know about, I mean in terms of magazine alteration and feeding of these blunt nosed rounds?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I recall one of these being made from one of the rem 600 or 660 series of carbines in 350 rem magnum. Might be in one of the old guns and ammo digests published many years ago. for any bullets up to 400 grains a 1x22 twist may be your best bet. There was a article published in the now defunct precision Shooting magazine about one smith who did a couple of these using a Swedish 1896 action and a takeoff barrel from either a ruger #1 or #3. That's about my sum total knowledge on this cartridge. Frank

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The only mention that I recall was in a 1971 Home Gunsmithing Digest article titled "Let's Build a .458 American". IIRC, they used a bolt action receiver, possibly from Herters(?).

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
the m48 action will require too much modification to get it to run right, simply use an existing magnum action such as a rem mod 700 7mm or 300 mag, send it to E R Shaw and they will install a 458 American barrel on it. will not need any action work. I recommend having a 450 marlin barrel put on it, Hornady has ammo loaded with the 325 gr rubbertipped bullet which is very effective on game. I had one on a mag action and shot 500 gr cast lead bullets out of it, could get it up to 1900 fps, but the recoil was a bit too much...

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
IIRC, Elmer Keith commented on it on time, either in one of his books or a mag. and said it would shoot lengthwise
through an elk. Haven't heard anything since the 60's or 70's.
450 marlin will duplicate or better it.
JMHO
safety first
HM

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Just bought a reamer and rechambered my Handi in 45/70 to 458x2 ish. Waiting on 450 marlin extractor to finish it up. Have an Enfield chambered in 458x2. Any belted mag brass can be used that's why this and not 450marlin. Trim brass on table saw with 2x4 cut and drilled to hold 10 cases at a time just a little long. Finish with Forster case trimmer.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Just bought a reamer and rechambered my Handi in 45/70 to 458x2 ish.

How did the longer 45/70 chamber affect anything?

I would guess it would not be the best for PaperPatch, but everything else should go through without too much issue.
was accuracy affected?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts