Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost forgot I had her, worked on it during last deer season then stored her. Went a little old school on her. Contoured, D&T'd for larger mount screws, and cantilevered an external adjustment B&L Ithaca shotgun mount paired with a B&L 2.5-8 scope.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
That's definitely a beauty! I bet you're the only one on your block with that scope mount. ;D It looks to be well built and sturdy.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was a rifle put together with pieces, not a factory rifle. Therefore the barrel/receiver weren't a perfect alignment, but did lock up nice. The B&L mount probably had enough arch in it to be mounted securely, but I had it machined deeper and stepped/cantilevered so it would rest flat and scope would be set back a bit more. After I sighted and lock the externals in, I doubt it will ever come off of zero unless I crush the scope tube. Super glass, but has fine cross hairs, not great for low light.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,713 Posts
I like the rifle and set-up. I have two Handi .45-70s. My first Handi ever, a 22 inch and a later 16.5. Love 'em both.

It's difficult to guess from the pics, but the scope looks to be mounted way to the rear. CAUTION: Scope eye can be hazardous to your health. A .45-70 can certainly deliver it :'( It never happens hunting, but it sure can nail you off a bench or rest. I can still see, but I can tell you how I know......a few times. I strongly recommend long eye relief scopes on a .45-70. Best of luck with it.

Pete

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...thanks for the reminder Pete. My cheek weld is way back on her...lol I'm hard on hunting rifles, so the syn 45 70 goes in the woods with me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Nice rifle and thanks for sharing..
My Dad has that mount under a Balvar 1.5-5 scope on a Browning Safari .308. I inherited it when he died a few years back and noticed the scope was cloudy. Sent it back, I think Bushnell handled it, and they fixed it free. While the scope was off I shot a little buck with his rifle and just open sites. He had hunted opens on it for a few years till he saved up enough for the scope. Sure brings back memories for me, got to go take the old girl out of the safe right now and handle her then spray her down with Barricade. Maybe even take her for a walk this season.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Nice 45-70 you got yourself there, sluggo. The wood stock is nice, but I do understand the synthetics for going hunting, they are pretty much weatherproof. I have my 45-70 set up with a Leupold 1-4 shotgun scope, works well and helps my old eyes. Good luck this hunting season and keep us in the loop. Take care, John. ;D

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...this week early muzzleloader comes in for 3 days, I'll let ya know if the Slufoot conversion (a 45 70 conv.) connects.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts