Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The NH firearms opener was today, I took the day off from work and got out in the woods. It was cold, in the teens and low 20's. Just before lunch this 8 pointer showed up and stopped about 40 yards from me. One shot and he turned to run but fell down immediately. He was able to get up and stagger another 40 yards before laying down, he was done at that point.

Rifle is a 5.56mm 1:9 Stag lefty upper on an Anderson lower. Load was 60 grain Nosler Partition over BL-C(2) powder. This load hits basically the same POI as standard XM193 so I don't have to adjust sights when going from one to the other which is convenient.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Congratulations!
Uber glove co. makes a great coat out of your hides.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Very nice!!!!!!!!!!! How do you like hunting with the AR? This will be my second season using one, and I'm still trying to warm up to them.

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice!!!!!!!!!!! How do you like hunting with the AR? This will be my second season using one, and I'm still trying to warm up to them.
I love it especially after seeing how well it performed. It's funny, I was never into ARs because I've always been a blued steel and walnut kinda guy but after buying my first AR and seeing how well I could shoot it offhand with open sights I started hunting exclusively with the AR. It was a good choice because I was standing in the open when that deer came in, I didn't have the opportunity to get into a rested position because he was looking right at me so I took an offhand shot.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I love it especially after seeing how well it performed. It's funny, I was never into ARs because I've always been a blued steel and walnut kinda guy but after buying my first AR and seeing how well I could shoot it offhand with open sights I started hunting exclusively with the AR. It was a good choice because I was standing in the open when that deer came in, I didn't have the opportunity to get into a rested position because he was looking right at me so I took an offhand shot.
I've only been into the AR's for a couple years. They do shoot very well, just awkward to carry for me. Very nice job on the buck, hope your not tagged out.

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've only been into the AR's for a couple years. They do shoot very well, just awkward to carry for me. Very nice job on the buck, hope your not tagged out.
Thanks, I still have a bow tag and my 17 year old son has a firearms tag so there's more hunting to do. Plus my two Labradors are itching to do some upland and waterfowl hunting.

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Congrats ! Good job..

..But of course, the democrats will tell you, those "assault" rifles are only good for killing people..guess they haven't spoken with your deer !

Personally, I think they are just trying to speak for their friends, the terrorists.. :tango_face_wink: :tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Nice buck. Season opens early where your at, I still have a week to wait. I'm just getting into AR's, so until I feel comfortable using it for hunting my 45-70 will have to do. I just don't trust those itty bitty bullets in the heavy brush of a northern WI swamp.

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats ! Good job..

..But of course, the democrats will tell you, those "assault" rifles are only good for killing people..guess they haven't spoken with your deer !

Personally, I think they are just trying to speak for their friends, the terrorists..

Yeah they can't think outside of their "weapon of war" bubble.

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice buck. Season opens early where your at, I still have a week to wait. I'm just getting into AR's, so until I feel comfortable using it for hunting my 45-70 will have to do. I just don't trust those itty bitty bullets in the heavy brush of a northern WI swamp.
It took me a while to warm up to the thought of hunting with an AR too. I used to be all blued steel and walnut but I was actually impressed at how quickly that deer expired from that little bullet. No tracking was required.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
It took me a while to warm up to the thought of hunting with an AR too. I used to be all blued steel and walnut but I was actually impressed at how quickly that deer expired from that little bullet. No tracking was required.
I have been reticent to adopt the AR, although I have a couple grandsons who love theirs..one of them having used the M4/M16 variants for 8 years with the USMC and 2 deployments to Iraq. I guess I'm just an old fashioned conventional rifle guy..

However, such a quick dispatch of the buck should put to rest, much discussion about the .223 being inadequate for deer. Was it a round to the "boiler room" or a head/neck shot?

Still, it goes back to common sense..."shot placement"! ...And large caliber is no substitute for shot placement !

That from a guy who recently purchased a Ruger American in .450 bushmaster! :tango_face_surprise :tango_face_wink: :tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
788 Posts
db73, nice buck you got there. That one should provide some very tasty eating for y'all. I have never been a fan of the .223 as a deer round, but you have proven it will do it's job if you do yours. Thanks for the hunting report and the picture, again, nice buck. Take care, John.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Still, it goes back to common sense..."shot placement"! ...And large caliber is no substitute for shot placement !

:tango_face_surprise :tango_face_wink: :tango_face_smile:

There you go IG, talking that common sense again. :tango_face_grin:. In the right hands, with the right bullet (excellent choice doublebass) the .223 is more than enough gun.

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been reticent to adopt the AR, although I have a couple grandsons who love theirs..one of them having used the M4/M16 variants for 8 years with the USMC and 2 deployments to Iraq. I guess I'm just an old fashioned conventional rifle guy..

However, such a quick dispatch of the buck should put to rest, much discussion about the .223 being inadequate for deer. Was it a round to the "boiler room" or a head/neck shot?

That from a guy who recently purchased a Ruger American in .450 bushmaster!

It was a boiler room shot, I hit his heart and the bullet exited. He was dead in less than a minute, no tracking required. The bullet I used is designed for deer. I was very happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Nice buck!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts