Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody!

It's been kind of quiet the last week or so. I thought I'd show everyone what I've been working on. This little baby is designed after several antique toy cannons I've seen on the internet. The barrel is simular to a Strong barrel, they made small muzzelloaders and some really nice cartridge signal cannons. The carriage and wheels are cast from the finest scrap aluminum I could find. They are simular to the cannons made by Ives, Grey Iron and J & E Stevens. The wheels are slightly different. I went with 5 spokes instead of 6 just to be different. She isn't scaled to anything, I just went by pictures I've seen. I almost have her done. All I have left is to build three spacers, polish the barrel, drill the vent, and to powder coat the wheels and carriage. The wheels will be Red and I'll coat the carriage glossy Black. The barrel is 6" long with an overall legnth of 9.5". The wheels are 4" in diameter. I made the barrel out of 660 Bronze shaft. Sorry I don't have any construction photos. My camerawoman, er wife, has been working alot. I'll post pictures of my patterns if any want.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
That's quite an investment of time and skill!

We're getting quite a collection of professionally built 'toys' here!

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your kind words. The bronze really looks nice when it's polished. I made the patterns out of a recycled plastic/sawdust decking material called Trex. It was really nice to work with. I'll powder coat the pieces in a couple of days or so and post some more pictures.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got all of the pieces done today. Just have to drill the vent and powdercoat the wheels and carriage. Over all I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. This was a good project. It seams like every time I cast something I learn something new. I need to inprove my furnace a bit and biuld some more tools. I love being able to pore my own parts.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Powder keg said:
.... and powdercoat the wheels and carriage. ....
YO!

Powder coat? At home or work? If at home, I'll bet you even built your own powdercoat setup!

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At home of coarse. Hey, I don't build everything. I bought the powder coating gun at harbor freight and a local thrift store gave me a junker oven they were going to throw out. Later

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a photo of the finished baby! I polished the bronze and powdercoated the aluminum parts.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I can smell the sulpher and hear the fuse -

and the next picture ...

and the next picture ...

and the next picture ...

Good looking cannon!

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
B-everlovin-utiful!